how long to hold lemon meringue pie before final browning

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by jcakes, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I don't usually offer a lemon meringue tart, but one of my best clients has asked for this; we need to deliver it the day before.  I'm not sure if I should brown the meringue before or let them do it before serving.  I am going to use my regular lemon tart filling, and make an Italian meringue for the topping. I'm wondering if it would weep if we browned it or if it would be a problem to wait and let them do it. Any words of wisdom?

2. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    I used to make lemon curd tarts with an italian meringue on top. I would brown them with a torch, and I had no problems with weeping for days. Italian meringue is the most stable of the meringues. The kind of meringues that weep are the ones that aren't cooked beforehand (ie whipping egg whites and sugar with no heating involved, then spreading it on the tart and baking).

3. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi Annie!  I am so glad to hear that; today has been one of those days.  As in, someone who is a CIA grad with 20 years of experience thought that 6 ounces of salt in a gingerbread cookie dough recipe was perfectly normal and didn't apologize when the error was discovered "because that's what the recipe said and you said that only the spices were measured in teaspoons and the other stuff was in ounces".

4. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Oh Jeanne! 6 ounces of salt! If that didn't raise a red flag for an experienced professional, I don't know what would! How frustrating!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

5. stafan

stafan

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hi all , but can you brown the  Italian meringue , i never tried?

6. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Of course you can brown italian meringue.......you can brown any meringue actually.

7. stafan

stafan

Exp:
    Line Cook
    oh thanks guys

8. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Browning will make it stiffer and hold up better, also better for shipping and moving. Also you will tend to retard the egg white from absorbing other flavors from the fridge.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011