How long does compound butter last frozen?

Joined Mar 12, 2005
How long does compound butter last frozen?

Same as regular butter? or considerably shorter?

TIA

Joined Feb 13, 2008
To some extent it depends on what you put in the butter to make it a compound. For instance, truffles won't handle freezing very well.

But your average, run of the mill compund, like maitre d'hotel, lasts pretty much indefinitely. It's a sort of a universal, "good-housekeeping" recommendation to use anything in a home freezer within six months; but I imagine you could go easily go a year without losing much quality in a stable freezer.

BDL.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I personally would not go more than 6 to 8 weeks in the freezer.

The only way I would go longer is if i used a food sealer. Plastic wrap breaths so freezer burn will eventually affect it. IMHO

Joined Mar 12, 2005
Thanks! This is a merlot butter, and I think I put shallots and herbs in it to.

Its been in there about 4 months.

Joined Oct 18, 2007
I used to fold a piece of plastic wrap in half then roll up the butter, in effect quadruple wrapping it, and store it for about 3 months with no problems.
Never stored it longer as I tried not to prep too much too far in advance.

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Many of the freezer cook books recommend wrapping in plastic then wrapping in foil - any real benefit to this? It's not porous, so maybe that could help with keepability.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Hi DC,

Oxygen will still get in.

Basically, why would one need to keep a compound butter longer then a month or two

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Hi CC....answer to that one....frugality, or forgot it was there :D Things hide in freezers. Some of them unrecognisable :lol:

Joined Jun 21, 2008
Everything lasts longer in a manual defrost freezer with chest type having a more favorable efficiency and temperature holding, but pose accessibility and space usage problems.

Temperature swing in auto-defrost freezers increase crystal growth.

I have a 5ft^3 China made cheapo chest freezer from Home Depot and it holds -10F fine.

Joined Jan 5, 2001
I agree with CC. Fat absorbs all kinds of flavours and aromas, more than anything else in the freezer. Besides, most of us grab a quick slice of compound better and put it back int he freezer wiht a less than perfect seal, thus accelerating the process even further. Did you taste your Merlot butter? How is it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom