How long does compound butter last frozen?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abefroman, Dec 5, 2009.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    How long does compound butter last frozen?

Same as regular butter? or considerably shorter?

TIA

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    To some extent it depends on what you put in the butter to make it a compound. For instance, truffles won't handle freezing very well.

But your average, run of the mill compund, like maitre d'hotel, lasts pretty much indefinitely. It's a sort of a universal, "good-housekeeping" recommendation to use anything in a home freezer within six months; but I imagine you could go easily go a year without losing much quality in a stable freezer.

BDL.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I personally would not go more than 6 to 8 weeks in the freezer.

The only way I would go longer is if i used a food sealer. Plastic wrap breaths so freezer burn will eventually affect it. IMHO

4. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks! This is a merlot butter, and I think I put shallots and herbs in it to.

Its been in there about 4 months.

5. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I used to fold a piece of plastic wrap in half then roll up the butter, in effect quadruple wrapping it, and store it for about 3 months with no problems.
    Never stored it longer as I tried not to prep too much too far in advance.

6. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Many of the freezer cook books recommend wrapping in plastic then wrapping in foil - any real benefit to this? It's not porous, so maybe that could help with keepability.

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi DC,

Oxygen will still get in.

Basically, why would one need to keep a compound butter longer then a month or two

8. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Hi CC....answer to that one....frugality, or forgot it was there :D Things hide in freezers. Some of them unrecognisable :lol:

9. i <3 vodka

i <3 vodka

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Everything lasts longer in a manual defrost freezer with chest type having a more favorable efficiency and temperature holding, but pose accessibility and space usage problems.

Temperature swing in auto-defrost freezers increase crystal growth.

I have a 5ft^3 China made cheapo chest freezer from Home Depot and it holds -10F fine.

10. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I agree with CC. Fat absorbs all kinds of flavours and aromas, more than anything else in the freezer. Besides, most of us grab a quick slice of compound better and put it back int he freezer wiht a less than perfect seal, thus accelerating the process even further. Did you taste your Merlot butter? How is it?