How long does bacon fat last in the fridge?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Great question. Mine sometimes hangs out in a sealed jar for a year without going rancid. I used it and it tasted fine; I did not puke, die or get the runs... But I try to clear it out every couple of months.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
I have 2 jars going usually, one I add to one I am taking from... have had it last over a year before starting to smell a little funky. If it gets old I use it in bacon fat candles!

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It'll last longer, keep better if there are no solids in it too.  I keep a cup in the fridge and a small tin on the self of my range.  

Joined Jul 13, 2012
That's just the tip of the iceberg.  I grease my pizza pan, any time I make quiche I grease and dust with bread crumbs, corn bread , , , 

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Growing up, my parents used bacon fat for just about everything.  Scrambled eggs at my friends' houses always tasted strange to me because they used butter not bacon fat.  Another great use was using it for popcorn.  No butter needed, just a little salt.  The bacon fat gave to popcorn great flavor.  Seriously, can be used just about any place you use butter or other oils.  Dad would always add a couple of spoonfuls to the melted shortening when he was frying chicken or just about anything else.

Joined Jun 23, 2015
I haven't grown up yet just old.  At my house there was always a container of bacon drippings on the stove.  Now I still keep a container on the stove.  In the refrigerator I have never had any go bad but I try to keep the inventory turned over.  Every thing is better with bacon fat.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
If I have to much I dump it in the deep fat fryer, adds great flavor to french fries etc! Sure it breaks the oil down faster but hey, flavor!

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I strain mine and keep it in the freezer.  Yes you have to scrape it like italian ice, but it keeps more or less indefinitely.  I would say I use it fast enough but there's also duck fat to get through

Joined Mar 21, 2008
I use 2 jars, one I am working from is oldest, second is new. When I empty the first I switch to the second, wash the first then start using it to fill. Gives me a first in , first out rotation so it doesn't get stale.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Make sure you strain the fat for any impurities... I believe that's what makes it go bad faster. Otherwise, I've kept mine for several months, then after that it started rotting so I threw the whole batch. I wish I had some on hand right now to refry my black beans. I suppose you could also use it to make pastry, although I've never tried that myself. 

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Top Bottom