How long do I cook a 2 inch ish piece of tenderlion?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by spicyfood, May 25, 2018.

1. spicyfood

spicyfood

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've only cooked a single flaminyawn properly and that was only because I had a cast iron pan. I have no cast iron pan, I have a air microwave/portable oven thing I use to cook fries n chicken, I can cook it on the pan, throw it in oven, or reverse sear it like I do ribeyes.

My problem is I kind of just eye ball and touch test things to decide if they're cooked the way I want them. These tenderlion cuts do work that way though, I had a flaminyawn that I cooked well done and it felt like it was medium or medium well. I was absolutely livid, I don't want to ruin my last few cuts by cooking them to well done. So any help with be great.

Should I, reverse sear them, just cook them in pan, or throw them in my air microwave. And how long should i do either of those? I'm aiming for a something between medium and medium well, not sure how to explain it but I want it very slightly red going on pink. My preferred color is a bit precise, I'm not sure if theres a word for between medium and medium well but its exactly what im trying to get.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If you can’t spell it right you might not be able to cook it right. Chop it up and feed it to your cat.

harpua likes this.
  3. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Filet Mignon.. two words.

harpua likes this.
  4. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    The doneness that you are looking for is "medium," which is a slightly reddish center and pink throughout. Unless you know what you are doing, achieving that temperature with a 2" filet is not going to be easy.

For the love of all that is holy and pure, please do not cook that piece of meat in a microwave.

Bring the meat to room temp. Generously season with salt and pepper. Pan sear it in a red hot skillet with butter, crushed garlic and some fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme etc). Sear for 3-5 minutes per side until it reaches an internal temp of about 145'f to 150'f. Don't move it around the pan after its been flipped. Remove from the pan and let rest about 10 minutes. You can deglaze the pan with some red wine or balsamic vinegar to spoon over the filet.

**as the meat rests, the internal temperature will continue to rise another 5+ degrees and will reach "medium" temperature.**

BTW.....love the "flaminyawn". lol :)

Good luck.

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OMG the "flaminyawn" guy is back!