How How How do you keep produce fresh?

Joined Feb 11, 2007
Keeping my Basil green and fresh is a dilemma for me. How do you keep yours looking fresh and prevent it from going dark so quickly?

Joined May 25, 2015
Keep it alive on the plant as long as possible if you grow it. When you do cut it, leave the stems long and put them in water. Never put it in the cooler. About all you can expect is a couple of days.

Joined May 5, 2010
If you are speaking about basil that comes from a purveyor, it usually comes in a large bag. I remove the basil and go through each stem to cut a small 1/8th inch off the end. I place the basil in a jar of water and leave it out at room temperature. You have to watch it and take care of it as a plant.

Joined Feb 11, 2007
Keep it alive on the plant as long as possible if you grow it. When you do cut it, leave the stems long and put them in water. Never put it in the cooler. About all you can expect is a couple of days.
I do grow it in the summer. But now I am purchasing through my Food Supplier. Why can grocery stores keep it in their coolers for days on end? I appears that once I wash my Basil it goes bad rather quickly. So frustrating to say the least!

Joined Feb 11, 2007
Make a pesto and freeze it.
We like to Chiffonade our Basil and showcase that we use fresh Basil on our healthy Pizzas and our Caprese sandwiches and in our Pizza sauce. We do make a fresh Pesto out of a lot of it as you well stated. THANKS!

Joined Feb 11, 2007
Make a pesto and freeze it.
We do make a Pesto out of it for some of our menu items. But we also like to showcase the Ribbons of Basil in our Caprese sandwiches and on top of our Healthy Pizzas and such. Thanks!

Joined Feb 11, 2007
If you are speaking about basil that comes from a purveyor, it usually comes in a large bag. I remove the basil and go through each stem to cut a small 1/8th inch off the end. I place the basil in a jar of water and leave it out at room temperature. You have to watch it and take care of it as a plant.
EXCELLENT advice right there! I do that with our Parsley. Why in the world did I not think to apply this principle to my Basil?!! Thanks a bunch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom