How does ur kitchen clean floor at end of night?

Joined Oct 10, 2005
No....

My hand sink and my pot sink and my pre rinse sink empty into my grease trap--as required by law, my d/washer by passes the grease trap and goes directly to the sanitary lines.

If I did have floor drains, --that is, a grille w/ a basin underneath on the floor surface-- by municipal plumbing code, it would have to go to my grease trap, even condensate from my a/c and coolers have to go to my grease trap.  Don't ask me why, that's what the code wants.

Joined Sep 18, 2008
Interesting, to say the least, the "code" does not require an "air gap" (6" required in California) in the sanitary sewer connection, i.e. a sink/grease trap drain MUST end 6" above a "floor sink" that is directly connected to the sanitary sewer?

Joined Dec 8, 2010
How to remove debris without hosing down the floor?

I run a chocolate and pastry place, lots of sticky residue on the floor, and no, I don't have floor drains.

Ya go to a hardware store and get a stiff brush mounted on a broom stick.  Dribble water all over the mess with the brush, wait a few minutes, then scrub, then mop.
I'm thinking mostly of the crap that gets under shelving, immovable equipment, &c.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
For stuff like speed racks, walk-in shelving, and anything portable, it does make sense to rent a pressure washer, truck the stuff outside, and let 'er rip.  For immovable stuff, you got to do it the "old fashioned way" with a brush-on-a-stick to clean the crud off, and a good shot of sanizer afterwards.

Pete, no, no air gaps.  Don't know why, other than the chance of a sewer back up.  Code here demands back-up prevention devices on ice machine drains  and dishwashers, but not on sinks.  I never argue with those city plumbing boys, give them what they want, and sign off on my occupancy permit please.  Weirdest thing I ever encountered was a demand to have a 2 hr rated fire wall  and doors around my walk in cooler and freezer in Singapore.  I did it, went over budget to to do so, but I did it for them.  Still to this day I can't figure out  why they wanted it though......   

Joined Sep 28, 2010
This is what we do while cleaning kitchen.

We first clean the kitchen top to bottom

then we sweep and pour soapy water down on the floor

deck brush

This is our process of cleaning kitchen.

Joined Dec 26, 2013
Obviously, as stated a million times above, we clean everything top to bottom before we clean the floors. But to clean the floors, we hook up a hose to out 3-well sink, spray the floors with hot water, making sure to get under the line coolers and grills, then scrub with a scrub brush and dish soap. After a good scrub, we spray the soap down the drains, squeegee the water to the drains, and sweep any accumulated grime off the drains.  This leaves the floors REALLY clean, and the next morning the kitchen smells fresh for the opening cook.

Joined Mar 1, 2011
Clean all surfaces and equipment first

Sweep well

Hot hose and deck brush w soapy water

Squeegee excess water into floor drains

Follow with a barely wet mop w bleach

I hate quarry tiles. luckily we don't have them anymore

Joined Jan 8, 2006
it sure helps if your cooking equipment is on wheels, and can be rolled out of the way.  If you can move to clean, then HOT water, a good degreaser, and lots of  hard work can, and will, make the floors sparkle, and be grease free.

I'll put time and money into cleaning any time.  Walls, floors, surfaces.  It's the key to success.

Joined Mar 27, 2014
Tiles are nice decors to your home but they may be very tough to maintain. Getting your tiles to look clean always is a lot harder than it seems. steam-cleaning your tiles will help you with this task. This is a way of cleaning tiles by using a steam-cleaning device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined Oct 10, 2005
Live steam can be very harsh on the grout--the stuff in between the tiles.  Once the grout loosens up and cracks off, steam gets under the tiles and loosens them up.

D a m h I k t........

There is no substitute for daily cleaning with hot water and small amounts of soap.

Put it this way.

You can shower daily, or even multiple times a day

Or...

you can take a steam bath with a brick and harsh chemicals once a week.

What's easier on your body?

Joined Dec 21, 2012
I'm considering a steam machine myself.  I've seen the small ones demonstrated and hey work pretty good, but were slow going.  Others seem like they would work good, the ones that steam and vac pickup at the same time.  But they are pretty expensive.

Expensive or not, they may be worth it, but I don't know anything about brands, what to look for, etc.  I think I would maybe go for $3000 or less if it did a good job and wasn't a pia to operate, clean and store.  I just don't know enough about it to decide.  And don't have anywhere to observe one.

Anyone out there with experience with these things???

Thanks

Joined Mar 1, 2011
We use live steam three times a week. (We don't have quarry tiles or any grout, but like foodpump said, it kills grouted tiles if done too often)

But EVERY night it gets swept very well. Scrubbed with super hot soapy water and a deck brush, squeegee'd, wet mopped, dry mopped.

A clean kitchen is so super important. I've been in so many gross kitchens, and have even turned down jobs because of kitchen conditions.

Joined Mar 3, 2011
Our kitchen is stainless steel top to bottom. With the push of a button, all of our tables and equipment lift 1ft off of the floor using hydraulics and the kitchen goes into "Sanitize mode," high pressure water jets blast the floors, walls and ceilings then it is blown dry and then a fine mist of chlorine is sprayed over all surfaces. Then our 10,000hp exhaust system then removes all smells, and contaminants from the air.

The kitchen of the future! With laser knives, lab grown ingredients, and annoying customers are ejected from the establishment via SWATbots.

Broom, mop, elbow grease for now. *sigh*

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Opinion from the home front....

I have an OCD things about floors.

Wherever I go my eyes are constantly observing the deck.

Carpet or hardwood or tile.

Does not matter....if at home I gotta stop whatever I am doing and at least take care of the offending area if not the entire room.

Have always cleaned the carpets with steam and about a year ago switched to a steam cleaner for the hard surfaces.

The first few times I noticed all this extra GUNK after I ran over high traffic areas.

Soooo bucket with hot soapy cleanser and a brush I got down on my hands and knees and got the rest up.

It is like I have brand new floors.

White socks while padding around making coffee and cookies?

no problem.

My feet only pick up that days "outside" tracked in by the family.

Go for the steam.

mimi

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Sweep, flood with soapy water, scrub, squeegee to floor drains and finish with a wet/dry vac to get the remaining water up. The vacuum needs to be opened and the inside cleaned twice a week but otherwise I ended up preferring it to a mop and bucket although we kept a mop on hand for occasional liquid spills. 

i have a $700 steamer that oddly enough has no brand name on it. Bought it at a janitorial supply house. Works great for many things. I used that for the areas near the grill and behind equipment when elbow grease just isn't enough. The vacuum is also good for getting behind and under equipment where broom may not reach.. 

I always kept a supply of kitty litter on hand to help clean up oil and grease in the event of a spill. This can also help in areas of grease accumulation if left to sit for a few days. It will absorb the grease and make it easier to remove. 

Joined Jan 25, 2012
clean walls down to benches, benches to floor, flood the floor , degreaser  scrub like hell squegie to the drain , clean the drains. 

Joined Apr 12, 2014
-clean all surfaces including grills

-sweep

-with some floor soap and a broom scrubber, do a deck scrub

-mop

-sweep using a large broom to get rid of the bits brought up by the deck scrub

-do a final mop using quats in the bucket with a clean mop head, not the one we just used

Joined Dec 18, 2008
Our line is so over burdened and bursting at the seems that we have to sweep at least 2x a day before closing down. So I always make them pull mats first, do an initial sweep to get all the bulk, then clean and flip, then sweep again, mop for effect, dump water, mop for cleanliness. It's a pain but we push that much volume from what is essentially a galley kitchen; yes it can suck, a lot.

Top Bottom