How does ur kitchen clean floor at end of night?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cwjalex, Sep 25, 2010.

1. cwjalex

cwjalex

Exp:
    Line Cook
    just changed careers and started line cooking at my first job.  The way the guys clean the floor at the end of the night is they fill up 5 gallon buckets with water and repeatedly dump them so the crap and garbage goes towards the few drains in the kitchen and then they use a broom and squeegee.  It looks horribly inefficient because they have to clean the same spot over and over again...and still doesn't do a great job because the floor is tiled squares and has grooves where the crap gets stuck.

It would make a lot more sense to me if they had a wet mop and bucket like the kind custodians use...I was just wondering how other restaurants do clean up?

2. I worked in sweep and mop places (which really doesn't seem all that effective).  Once a week (in theory), we were to dump the buckets of soapy water all over, scrub it with brooms and blast it down the drain with a pressure hose.  I would have liked to seen it done daily but, you know, payroll.

3. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Sweep first!!!!!

Mop with hot water and Mr Clean or similiar.

For really filthy areas, sploosh hot water over area, soak in for a few minutes then mop as normal.

A properly "just mopped" floor should take less than 5 mins for a 10 foot section to dry.

Rinse mop out several times and wring out as much water as possible before hanging up mop to dry.

Hose out mop bucket and squeezer  before putting away.

Sounds simple and stupid doesn't it?  The amount of  places I've been to where you could smell the mop a mile away, and the bucket was full of greasy black cold water is mind boggling.....  

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    • First, clean the rest of the kitchen, EVERYTHING else
    • Pads, mats, duckboards, etc., up and out to the "wash area".
    • Sweep the floor at least once
    • Soak/scrape obvious problem areas
    • Mop with HOT, soapy (preferably floor cleaner detergent) water, scrubbing where necessary, change water in mop bucket as necessary
    • Rinse with clean, HOT, water, changing mop bucket probably twice as often as with soapy water.
    • Rinse again with chlorine/Quat sanitizer USING sanitizer mop, NOT the cleaning mop!
    • Turn off the lights, set the alarm, lock the door and go home!

5. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is what we do

-clean all surfaces including grills

-sweep

-with some floor soap and a broom scrubber, do a deck scrub

-mop

-sweep using a large broom to get rid of the bits brought up by the deck scrub

-do a final mop using quats in the bucket with a clean mop head, not the one we just used

6. sgtgoodie

sgtgoodie

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    In the galley after all of the ovens, machines, tables etc...were cleaned and inspected, the steam jacketed kettles would be filled and the water heated. The chief cook after pouring GP soap on the deck would pull 4 of the 8 drain plugs and thus dump a couple hundred gallons of hot water on the deck which quickly turned into a big soapy mess. The cooks on watch would scrub the whole floor with scrub brushes and then push the soapy water into the drain pit under the kettles. Then the other 4 kettle plugs would be pulled and a couple hundred gallons of rinse water would once again flood the deck. The cooks would squeegee the water into the pit once more and then finish mop the deck before falling into formation to be secured for the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sweep first! Sweep well. When we used to dump hot soapy water everywhere we would use deck brushes to scrub the entire floor then squeegee excess water into the drains and finally we would wet vac the floor. It worked out well.

8. 2buckchuck

2buckchuck

Exp:
    Line Cook
    We've got a night porter a my restaurant, and along with front of house, we washes the mats and floors in the kitchen. Sooo nice

9. rezacatering

rezacatering

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    it does not matter how slow or busy we are with san diego catering.  Our procedure is always the same.  At the end of every night we take out the mats and clean broom them of debre,

then we sweep the floor, especially paying attention to corners and hidden areas under table..etc..etc.  Then we use HOT water with soap and a little bit of bleach and mop every square inch.

The mop MUST be re-soaked and drenched after every 10 square feet to allow the mop to be fresh and clean for the next 10 square feet.  Once a month we add a  thick floor brush and brush everything clean.  I am a clean freak when it comes to the floor and walls.

Reza

San Diego Catering

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Live Steam

11. marcus5556

marcus5556

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    clean the kitchen top to bottom

sweep

pour soapy water down the line

deck brush

spray down with hose

squeegee

every night it is also one of the cleanest kitchens i've worked in

12. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    A good kitchen will have floor drains, which allows you to flood the floor and squeegee it down the tube.  But many N.American kitchens don't.

13. coulis-o

coulis-o

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    normally use hot soapy water and a mop and bucket.

but, the last restaurant i worked at sprayed this kind of biological chemical on to the floor, left it for 5-10 mins, then went over it with a cold mop bucket and water as if to dry-mop the floor. I looked at the head chef funny when he asked me what was i doing putting hot water in the mop bucket for....

14. chefbazookas

chefbazookas

Exp:
    Other
    I once worked for "Chee-Chee's" for about three weeks in a managment trainee program.  The floor was red square tile and had about a half-inch layer of greasy slime coating on it.  I could barely hold myself upright trying to ambulate on that gelatinous mess.  How the staff and cooks worked back there without breaking bones and busting skulls I have no idea.  My first closing shift I was careful to watch the floor cleaning process which consisted of...nothing.  They did nothing to the floor but sweep (and that was half-assed).  When I asked the GM why they didn't clean the floor at night he simply said, "I leave that to the kitchen keys.  I don't micromanage."  My response of "You apparently don't try to walk back there, either." earned me a fierce glare but didn't prompt any changes.  I quit the next day.  Who works like that??

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  15. stl243

stl243

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sweep well.  very well.

deck scrub with degreaser.

mop with hot water/floor cleaner.

16. coup-de-feu

coup-de-feu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Some schools of thought say NOT to sweep first.  The logic is that sweeping pushes dust particles into the air which land all over the kitchen.  So first hot soapy water is put all over the floor, then its scrubbed and squeegeed to the drains. 

17. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Typical European kitchens have floor drains, typical N. American ones do not--save for grilles under steam kettles/tilt skillets.  If the floor does not have drains, I would suggest NOT to pour water all over it, or else you're just giving the dirt a bath.... 

18. allium

allium

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I was unaware that most N. American kitchens lack drains. That's incredibly senseless.

Best method I've seen is a sweep, hose, soap & scrub, hose, squeegee, dry-mop method. Makes the floors sparkle. I have no idea how one can remove (nearly) all debris without hosing the floor down. Not everything in a kitchen can be pulled out every night.

19. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    How to remove debris without hosing down the floor?

I run a chocolate and pastry place, lots of sticky residue on the floor, and no, I don't have floor drains.

Ya go to a hardware store and get a stiff brush mounted on a broom stick.  Dribble water all over the mess with the brush, wait a few minutes, then scrub, then mop.

20. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Really? No "hand wash" sink or any other "sink" in your kitchen???

I though ALL sinks in kitchens were required to drain into a "floor sink" (fancy name for a floor drain!).