How do you use a Microplane?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Say you have a block of parmesan cheese which fits in your hand.  Do you

1)  Grab the block of cheese and rub it against the microplane

or

2)  Hold the block of cheese steady and grate the microplane against the cheese?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. oldschool1982

oldschool1982

Exp:
    Retired Chef

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Depends how much I need.  For larger amounts, I put the tip of the plane against my board and rub the cheese on the plane. For smaller amounts I hold the plane against the cheese and move the plane.  Usually do this with my plane on top so the cheese buillds up in the plane between its support rails.  Less mess and waste this way. Also my preferred method for zest. 

4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    1, hold the tip on the board and rub , cheese, garlic, ginger, lemon, etc.

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    #1) I just hold the microplane in mid air on top of the bowl/plate and grate the block of cheese. My kid places the microplane on top of the bowl, horizontally, and grates the block of cheese against it. 

6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    #1 for me as well. 

7. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hm....

If it's hard cheese such as Parmesan or Grana, I'd pass the Microplane against the cheese. If it's soft cheese such as mozzarella or cheddar, I'd pass the cheese against the grater.

I have a Microplane box grater given to me as a gift some years ago. One panel of it, which has fairly small rasps, slides off the frame so it can be used as I do on hard cheeses. Very handy. Best of all, it can be cleaned in the dishwasher. 

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This.

More importantly, how do you keep your knuckles safe from the grater?  It takes off quite a bit of skin, speaking from experience.  I do a little prayer before I use the microplane.

9. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I know what I'll get you for you for your birthday.  In all seriousness though, this is why I like to move the microplane and hold the item steady.  But if have a box style microplane you just have to pray you don't get some extra protein in your soup.  ;)

10. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I never really though very hard about his before... but more often #1 than #2.  #2 especially when grating hard cheese on pasta.

11. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I do 1. to garnish (pecorino, lime zest) and 2. to do large amounts (solid wedge of parm on parchment)

12. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hold the cheese in one hand and rub on the stationary microplane, same with lemons, oranges, ginger, and nutmeg.  For me, with a hunk of cheese in one hand, I have more weight and momentum going than with a feather-weight microplane

13. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I use the edge to channel pretty grooves into the sides of citrus fruit to slice as a garnish

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Go into a rest supply and buy a Tevlar  glove, many places use them for mandolin work  (same material bullet proof vest made of)   I have an older model made out of flex steel mesh.