How do you think about the electronic kitchen appliances?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cookist, Sep 11, 2014.

1. cookist

cookist Banned

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    More and more electronic kitchen appliances appear now. Such as electronic grinder, mixer, dehydrator etc. How do you think about this. You prefer prepare dinner with manual tools or with the help of this electronic appliances?

2. philkel

philkel

Exp:
    At home cook
    A lot of electric appliances are a great help in the kitchen. The food processor and blender comes to mind. Having said that a lot are just rubbish too, like the electric peeler and the electric knife. One appliance I do avoid like the plague is the microwave oven (I know this is a controversial topic). As I have seen evidence that they really alter food and I have even done the plant and water experiment myself.

3. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Whatever saves work without compromising the quality. I'll keep my electric grinder, dehydrator, food processor, the pasta machine and the vac-packing machine for sure. That's about it, though.

I do have a microwave, but I really only use the microwave function for quickly thawing stuff when necessary. It also has a grill and a convection oven function, so I mostly use it as second oven when the primary one is already in use.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I couldn't live without my FP or my stick blender.

The electric knife has it's uses.
    Like when slicing turkey breast and I don't want to mangle or compromise the skin.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  5. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Koukouvagia  - at some occasions, I did roasts for 40-50 people (catering summer job while at university). ok, that was the time to carve with an electric knife. At my usual home-style volumes, a freshly sharpened knife will do fine for me, without messing up the skin. 

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Like most things, there are good and bad ones. More bad than good I think. Infomercial junk comes to mind as an example of the bad. 

7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A couple of my favorite tools:

8. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Definitely when it comes to the hand-held masher - no idea how i would substitute that one electrically. The crank-operated stirring thing, well.... everything you can operate by crank works better with a motor behind it. Not to say that I don't have one of those.... Heritage... Gotta be used when the Zombie apocalypse hits and the power lines are down :)

9. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If i steal the coffee mill that my wife uses for some misterious seeds grinding (what she calls "micro-feeding", God knows what the hell that means) i'm divorced in a week.

10. cookist

cookist Banned

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Your wife love her coffee mill so much.

11. cookist

cookist Banned

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Definitely that electronic appliances are more important in the company cantine, resturant than in family. I don't have one in my family. I am curious and want to have some in the future. I think some of them are helpful in preparing dinner.

12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The electronic devices that do get used on a regular basis in our house are the microwave - Karen uses it to make her oatmeal every morning. I use it to put some heat into a cup of coffee that has been sitting too long. The coffee grinder for coffee gets used every day. The coffee grinder for spices gets used once or twice a week, as does the digital kitchen scale. The blender, food processor, big mixer, little mixer and immersion blender maybe once or twice a month.

And that ancient egg beater makes the BEST whipped cream!

mjb.

13. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't know where I'd be without electric appliances, though I really don't use them all that often but when I do need them nothing else will suffice. Coffee maker and coffee grinder daily. Blender to make dressings occasionally, mini Cuisinart to grind spices, Kitchen Aid mixer to make cakes & other baked goods, ancient Cuisinart food processor still going strong from the early 80s--not often but when I need it nothing else will do, stick blender rarely but also makes my life much simpler than it was before I had one, electronic scale, meat thermometer a few times a week, digital timer, dishwasher--never had one until I bought this apartment 15 years ago and now I live in fear of its demise...

Microwave--I almost never use this. Would often prefer to eat things cold rather than reheated unless it's a soup or a braise, which I'd just as soon reheat on the stovetop.

I just recently put one of those manual egg beaters in the donation box to make room in a drawer since I hadn't used it for as long as I could remember but even with a food processor and Kitchen Aid I still knead bread dough by hand and use an old fashioned pastry cutter to make pastry crusts. And my stove is an ancient pre-electronic ignition gas job that I hope lives forever. My neighbor is on her third stove in 15 years, two lost due to failed electronic ignitions for which crucial switches were no longer made. The newer ones seem finicky to me in comparison to mine.

Almost forgot the ice cream maker! I had a fancy Italian one that had its own refrigeration unit but it died after one or two years of light use, never to be repaired because it was, well...Italian and no one would touch it. Now I have a simple, mechanical Cuisinart. Love. It.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have 2 coffee grinders.  One for coffee and one for spices.  They are cheap enough to invest in 2 of them so go ahead lol.  I too would never use the same one for both coffee and spices.  I don't blame your wife.  

15. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wife doesn't drink coffee and i only drink espresso out of home. That's really a dedicated grinder!

Whats interesting is how many electric appliances we have that we don't use at all. I can name 3: the juicer, the steamer and the soy milk maker.

16. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Got one of those for my food processor - great for grinding spices or making a quick chili paste:

17. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  18. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Nicko  that's a Kenwood, fits on most Kenwood kitchen machines.

19. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I dunno, when I hear the word "electronic"  something in my brain shuts down and I treat any and all electronic items with suspicion and contempt.

"Electric" is a different story.  It's just an electric motor or heating element.  No delicate chips or motherboards to get fried, no upgrading software, no obsolete chips or motherboards, and not much to go wrong.

One exception to the above is an electronic scale, have them both at home and at work.  Perfect.

I use electric machines only to relieve the mundane and boring "grunt" work like mixing or chopping, and I have a lot of them, Hobart 30qts, K.A. 5 qts, table top dough sheeters, yes-a dehydrator (no electronics there) electric cheapo coffee grinder for spices, and use an electric knife for delicate cream cakes, napolean slices and biscotti.

I prefer a simple Chef's knife for all cutting tasks, simply because I have absolute control over it, not so with a machine.  I make my coffee with a manual grinder and bomb-proof twin wall s/s French press.

But when you really want to get philosophical about it, anything with a power cord ends up in the landfill eventually, but not neccesarrily so with manually operated gadgets and tools.  In order to read an e-book I need a device, the software to run it on, a means to purchase an electronic book, and electricity to power it with.  With a paper book, I just need sufficient light to read by......

20. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And on the other hand, for your paper book, a tree dies. I carry a library with 3000 volumes in my pocket and recharge on a solar charger. (Not that I don't love paper books, the last count was something like 9000 books in our place. It is full. The cooking library alone fills about 15 shelf-meters. I have no more space, I need to go e-book.)