How do you take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by kaiquekuisine, Dec 27, 2013.

1. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    A news year is coming around , and all the hussle and bussle during the year contributed to many of our exhausting nights after working hours in the kitchen. 

So lets hear it , how do you take care of yourself , to maintain your body working as well as attempting to maintain a healthy life style.

Working in a kitchen can do damage to ones back , how do you guys manage to take care of your bakcs as well , as well as the entire body. 

2. eloki

eloki

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I find stretching the legs, arms and back in the morning really help, along with a few core exercises. Somewhat it helps maintain a correct posture.  I also try to avoid all kinds of sugary drinks (bottled juice, soda, etc.).  

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    At home, i eat really healthy. At work it pretty much goes out the window, but oh well.

During my lunch break at work, i actually sit on the floor while eating and do stretching exercises at the same time, followed by more strenuous stretches when finished. I finish up with a few minutes of prone meditation and focused relaxation of major muscle groups.

While prepping I change posture as much as possible. Standing flat footed for a while, then I put one foot up on a small block for a while, then switching to the other foot up for a while. I also change the height of my cutting board. Flat on the prep table for a while, then raising it up on a flat dish rack for a while. I also concentrate of keeping my back straight with no hunching. Throw in some good shoulder shrugs and shakes to keep everything loose and I am good to go.