How do you reheat?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I thought this might be a fun topic as some of my methods raise eyebrows on occasion.  I wanted to reheat two Pasties tonight without firing up the oven.  Since I use a dry skillet and lid to reheat sliced of pizza (best way I've found) I employed a similar technique to the Pasties.

Fry pan with lid - I made three balls of tin foil to elevate a diner plate then reheated the Pasties on some parchment - worked like a charm.

When steam started coming out they were done and the crust was still crisp.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Is there water in that pan too? I'll have to try the pan pizza method, I usually stick it on the oven.

I use my microwave a lot.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Is there water in that pan too? I'll have to try the pan pizza method, I usually stick it on the oven.

I use my microwave a lot.
No water - dry pan and a low flame.  Water would have steamed them to death.  Yeah the pizza slices usually go on a piece of foil for easy cleanup again and a low flame.  Try this KK you will never use a microwave for pizza again ever.  

A mini stove top oven is exactly what it is Brian and it works beautifully with so much less energy.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I put pizza in the oven, not the microwave.  I try never to put any bread like food into the microwave, it makes it chewy and hard.  

Joined Oct 31, 2012
What a great idea. I would never have thought it would work. Now I'm looking for something to experiment with.  

I typically use the microwave or the toaster oven. 

Joined Jul 13, 2012
@ordo  It's a stainless pot with a very thick bottom.  The trick is to use a low flame.  I've been reheating foods like this for years now and have never had a problem.  I probably wouldn't do this with an enameled dutch oven.

@chefwriter  I don't have room for a toaster oven hence thinking outside the box.

Lets hear some more ideas -

Joined Oct 31, 2012
After taking a closer look I think I have the exact same pan.  

Here in the Northeast I've often thought about using the radiators but haven't figured that one out yet. 

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Chambers, the American stove company, had a similar concept in the 1950s. The called it "thermo-baker", I believe, and fit in their proprietary Thermowell... Which was an early version of a slow cooker. I had a Chambers range for 20 years (and it was great to cook and bake with) but never found the thermowell accessories. That was before eBay. That range is one of only a few regrets I have in life - when we sold the house I should have kept the Chambers range!

http://www.chamberstoves.net/Features.html

Last edited:
Joined Aug 6, 2015
Great tip!
I shall have to try this soon with my less wide but taller pan and see if it still works.

Joined May 27, 2013
Neat Idea. For a single slice or few items. I don't have room for a toaster oven either. 

I've used the radiator (in winter, obviously) and even the sun, when it comes into my kitchen window to bring things to room temp or help defrost. 

My wok is on the radiator, and it has the lid from an al clad saute pan on it. Sometimes I put a plate of something in it and put the lid on. 

Will the next thread be cooking on a manifold?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Dry pan is the best way I've found to reheat leftover french fries too.  They have enough oil on them already so they crisp while the insides heat.  

Joined Sep 8, 2015
I reheat pizza directly on the dry pan, not elevated.  It crisps the crust a little more while the toppings heat well due to the lid.

Elevating a plate is such a great idea for so many other leftovers.  Thanks Mike.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
My pizza goes direct too - I elevate dense things that I don't want to burn on the bottom like Pasties, knishes, etc.  

Joined Nov 6, 2004
I do the same thing for pizza as well. Direct on dry pan, lid on for a portion then finish crust open lid (if you need the extra time)

Works great for thin crust to Chicago style.

Reheating pulled pork, I put in a vacuum sealer bag and heat gently in a water bath. I've been doing this long before I got my sous vide. The most gentle, flavor and texture method I've found for reheating pulled pork and other bbq items.

Good idea incorporating raising some foods, I'll keep this in mind

Last edited:
Top Bottom