How do you prepare your food?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by tim_ainley, Feb 28, 2005.

1. tim_ainley

tim_ainley

Hello, I wondered if you can help me,

I am a final year product design student at Huddersfield Uni. My major project design is a multi functional kitchen aid which helps with preparing food. I am afraid the design is sensitive, but you can still help me.

What problems/annoyances do you have when washing, chopping, pouring or draining your food?

And also what problems do you have with the general food preparation, cooking and serving processes?

I would be very grateful for some feedback from anyone that cooks. Many thanks. Tim.

2. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't know what your device will look like but it sounds to me like one of those gadgets you see advertised on late night Infomercials (do they have those in Britain?) The kind that serious cooks dread getting as Christmas presents.

Your questions are kind of vague Tim. Can you be a bit more specific?

For me even the most simple meal tends to turn into a project and the biggest annoyance is lack of space. My knives, pots and pans and other tools work just fine.

I think efficiency in the kitchen comes from being organised (mis en place and all that) and a well laid out kitchen more than gadgets.

Sorry, I don't mean to burst your bubble.

Jock

3. tim_ainley

tim_ainley

Hello Jock, thanks for your reply. Good to meet a fellow brit.

I guess it must be quite hard to answer without knowing what it is i am doing. The design is quite sensitive so unfortunetly i cant reveal much. But what i can say is its not really a gadget. No mechanics or electronics. Its more of an IKEA type product which helps with food prep. But just in the development stage now.

So to be more specific : would a product that helps combine tasks be of use to you??? In other words makes for less washing up and mean you would be more time efficient in the kitchen.

cheers.

4. rivitman

rivitman

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You are trying to answer problems that date to Careme and Escoffier.

The simple fact is that thre are no shortcuts or gadgets outside the existing that really work.

You may well be asking the wrong people.

Washing and cutting a salad is one thing.

Doing it in 50lb batches, getting it clean and dry, refrigerated, and doing so with proper sanitation is another.