How do you make soup?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by curiousbob, Mar 20, 2006.

1. curiousbob

curiousbob

Exp:
    Line Cook
    What are the basics? Is it just stock/broth and whatever you want to go in the soup?

2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Start with making a good stock from scratch. Search the forums for existing threads.

3. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
  4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Start off with a good stock. Important that you saute your vegetables first, usually in oil, but I like to use rendered chicken fat. Start with the onions first,once the onions have taken on colour then leek or cabbage, both of them need longer cooking times, followed by the other vegetables. then add the garlic and stock. Bring only once to a boil, then to a simmer, remove any scum or oil. Add in your herbs, I like to use a s/s tea ball stuffed with bay, thyme, peppercorns, and perhaps a clove.

5. deltadoc

deltadoc

I am not sure about cabbage requiring a longer time to cook, at least in my limited experience. Cabbage (as with any cruciferous vegetable) is prone to overcooking, hence that overwhelming "cabbage smell".

Joy of Cooking's recipe for vegetable soup has the chopped cabbage going in the last few minutes before serving the soup. I"ve made it this way for years, and canned it, and it always is outstanding. Tastes as good or better than soups I've had in upscale restaurants, and the canned stuff lasts for years on the shelf.

doc