How Do You Like Your Fish and Chips?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by boar_d_laze, Nov 29, 2011.

1. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    With the temperature dropping (don't hate me for living in SoCal) and football getting serious, a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of fish and chips.  My fancy, too. 
    • Batter:  For fish and chips, I do the fish tempura style with a light, cold, flour batter over a light, corn-starch dredge; and keep the seasoning simple.  I sometimes add a pinch of turmeric to the batter for color.
    • You? 
    • Oil:  I like corn oil; and cook the potatoes in the same oil as the fish. 
    • You?
    • Potatoes:  Russets; hand cut to medium thickness and well soaked and washed.  If I'm ambitious, I par cook in warn oil; drain; rest; and fry to finish in hot oil.  
    • You?
    • Favorite types of fish:  I like the traditional choices of haddock and cod a great deal, but also like halibut, (some kinds of) catfish, snapper, bass, loupe de mer, and a bunch of others.   Anyway, it's more the quality of what's available, than the species -- as long as it's not too oily.  Never salmon.  
    • You?
    • Thickness:  I prefer a fairly substantial piece, but not all fillets are like that.  "Whatever works," works for me. 
    • You?
    • Malt Vinegar or Tartar Sauce:   Life is short, why not both?  Lemon too.   Remoulade has been known to happen.  So has "Mexican mayonnaise" (mayo, lime juice, a pinch of chipotle)
    • You?
    • Salt:  Salt must go on when the fish is very hot.  I find coarse, "finishing" salts work very well... better than table salt (the idea of fancy salt has the UK members wincing, no doubt). 
    • You?
    • Frying Order:  I cook the potatoes until just done, then cook the fish on top of the potatoes in the same oil.  The couple of minutes it takes to cook the fish compensate for my over-eagerness to have the potatoes done and out. 
    • You?
    BDL

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Slightly heavier than tempura batter

Haven't thought about the oil, but I like a clean vegetable oil.

Russett wedges, peeled.

Believe it or not, I like persillade with my fish.  Hit it with salt and persillade straight out of the fryer, squeeze of lemon juice.  Tartar sauce on the side.

Halibut.

Newcastle Brown Ale.  :)

3. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Beer batter

Haddock, or at a push, cod

Maris piper or Maris Peer tatties - preferably twice or thrice cooked

Served with lashings of vinegar, sea salt and HP sauce.

4. sherbel

sherbel

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Batter - Beer batter. Thickish.

Oil - Usually canola or peanut oil.

Potatoes - Russets, always par-fried

Fish - Cod. If I'm doing fish and chips I'll usually sneak in a couple of prawns and/or scallops too.

Thickness - I'll trim to get fairly even, thicker pieces. The rest will be used in a chowder.

Tartar Sauce (tangy, made w/ french cornichons and lot's of lemon, purchased mayo.)

Salt, sea salt.

I cook fries and fish separately, oil used for fish will be used again, but only for fish.

5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Batter:  Rice flour, beer, s/p

Oil:  Peanut

Potatoes: Idaho Russetts....peeled ran through the mandoline, iced down, fried twice

Types of Fish: Cod, Haddock, Halibut, Grouper, Snapper, and because of location Great Lakes Whitefish

Thickness: Like you fairly sizeable

Condiments include, malt vinegar, tartar sauce or remoulade

Salt; of course

Order: Since I have 2 fryers It is not an issue.

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Fish n' chips is one of those dishes that I would never cook at home, it's pub food.  There is a Greek version of fisn 'n chips we make with bacalao, lightly dredged in flour and shallow fried in olive oil.  It's a classic greek dish served with skordalia and lemon wedges.

7. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Batter: Beer batter, applied slightly thicker than tempura. Fish dusted with cornstarch, first, then dipped.

Oil: Peanut. I never use Canola, for reasons other than culinary.

Potatoes: Russets, usually, cut in wedges.

Fish: Cod, preferably. But use other white-fleshed fish as well. We like haddock, but around here can't get it in thick enough filets.

Thickness: Depends. For just the two of us, at home, whatever works, works. If I have guests I trim everything evenly. Prefer a nice meaty chunk of fish.

Sauce: Varies. Often use a chili-mayo

Salt: Immediately after frying. This is standard with any deep-fried food.

Order: Potatoes, first, then the fish, cuz the spuds hold better.

8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Anyone ever used albacore?  I ate at this place last week, it was quite good. I have always used white fish of some sort. Never would have thought of using tuna for fish & chips.

9. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Batter: Slightly thicker than a Tempura but I like a little Sesame and Oyster sauce in for flavor

Oil: Always Peanut

Potatoes: Russets par boiled in french fry style and flash fried to finish

Fish:  Cod or Haddock cut into nice sized chunks

Sauces: Malt Vinegar and Tartar with lots of lemon and capers.

Salt: Lots on the fries with the Vinegar(I'm in Md, you gotta have vinegar chips)

Fish First for me since the fries are par boiled.