How do you advertise for service personnel?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by caterchef, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caterchef

caterchef Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif  How do you advertise for service personnel? I have an investor that wants me to design a private (members only) Fine Dinning Club with Silver Service with a Black Maitre d', waiters and busboys. Maitre d' 50yrs&up, waiters 40yrs&up and busboys 25yrs &up. All experienced in Silver Service and Flambe' Service ie. Crepe Suzette, Steak Diane, Cherries Jubilee, Bananas Foster etc. My Problem is how do I advertise I want waiters to look like "Uncle Ben"  as in "Uncle Ben's  Rice" and not like Obama without being sued for discrimination against the ugly,fat,young and non-black. My attorney say's the only way is invite them on a one on one basis. Well I can't go to New York or Chicago to pick them out. And I can't operate  with a ugly, pregnant, white girls in a tuxedo and cummerbund. Hooters can get girls in a tank top and short shorts. And others can advertise for barista girls in bikinis.

But I can't advertise or experienced black waiters . Any advice?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

P.S. I have a great deal of respect for the professionalism these elderly gentlemen bring to dinning room service that can not be duplicated with college kids or waitresses. plus the fact they can make more money at this than anything I know. In the '60's they were making over $200 a night for four hours work. And the busboys worked for the waiters as proteges not the hotel.In some of the biggest hotels the waiters had to buy a job from the Maitre d'.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100603/NEWS05/6030352/1319/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Be extremely careful with this. In New York in the 60s there was a catering facility called TERRACE ON THE PARK that tried this. Even though he was advised against it.. The result was nothing but problems and resulting law suits.  Within 6 monthes almost entire staff was turned over. I know first hand because I was Exec Chef at the time. Try to hire from a college source and train your own people. Thats what we wound up doing with much success. Good Luck

Don't even try an add like this as you will be guilty of revers discrimination.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    heh, you have got to be kidding me.  Hooters has had at least 3 major lawsuits brought against them (they won) but still. I think I would rather have a Spanish restaurant and make em dress like Conquistadors, at least the Spanish wouldn't care they would come and work. Trying to reproduce the ol' Blackamoor look of the old south is tantamount of inciting a lynch mob. no thank you.

if you want the southern gentlemen look get a bunch of Samuel Clemens look a likes...

Hiring for silver service 4 star dining...you may need to look at professional headhunters and services for butlers and such.

free rider likes this.
  4. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The exchange of ideas here at Cheftalk is limited to legal activities. I'm not going to allow a discussion of this, much the same as I would not allow a discussion of favorite crystal meth recipes. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.