How do I cook steaks right?

Joined Jun 27, 2017
I think I've forgotten how to cook steaks. From what I rememberr I use to sear my steaks on every side for about 30secs to a min then I throw it in the oven on 350 until it's how I want it.

The problem I'm getting now is this.

iyKRuQA.jpg

What's going on? Am I searing my steak too host so it over cooks the outside? I don't like a hard crust but i like a good sear. Maybe 1 minutes too long.

Also I remember when I was younger my mom would cook steaks using steak sauce in a pan (I think lol?) and then would drain the sauce out the pan into a cup and serve it with the steak. Can anyone explain what that is called, and can I just pour steak sauce in a pan as I cook steak? How does that work

Joined Dec 20, 2017
Looks like you just need to adjust the cooking time.

Also that sauce you mentioned is made by de-glazing the pan after you cook the steak, using wine, butter or water to loosen all the good flavorfull stuff (the Fond) from the pan. You can make all sorts of great sauces from that.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Eggs and steak. Both amazingly simple to cook. Both amazingly simple to cook wrong.

My guess is that the picture you show is a fairly thin steak that probably needed just pan searing, no time in the oven. What sort of doneness are you trying to achieve?

doneness.jpg

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, I think you overcooked that one.
I would just sear on the stove top. No need to use the oven.

The "steak sauce" you are talking about could be pan juices. You cook the steak, then let it rest and meantime deglaze the pan and serve those juices with the steak.

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Eggs and steak. Both amazingly simple to cook. Both amazingly simple to cook wrong.

My guess is that the picture you show is a fairly thin steak that probably needed just pan searing, no time in the oven. What sort of doneness are you trying to achieve?

View attachment 64291

Anywhere between Medium and Medium well.

I think it may of been the steaks temperature. It was still somewhat cold when I cooked it. I guess that's why the outside got over cooked while I was trying to get the insides temp to medium.

Joined May 5, 2010
Anywhere between Medium and Medium well.

I think it may of been the steaks temperature. It was still somewhat cold when I cooked it. I guess that's why the outside got over cooked while I was trying to get the insides temp to medium.

You can not use time as a way to measure done-ness of a steak. Every steak cooks differently. Thick steaks take longer then thinner steaks. A thermometer will give you the perfect steak each and every time.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I see two problems with that steak:
1) It's not properly seared.
2) It's overcooked inside.

I would recommend you heat up your pan more, it should be really sizzling, like it should make a lot of noise when you put the steak in. Put the oil in the pan, it should almost start smoking, it's alright if it actually starts smoking for a sec or two, then immediately put the steak in, you should see smoke and hear sizzling. Now leave it for at LEAST one minute on each side, but maybe more, could be a minute and a half. After a minute I would look under the steak to see if there's color. Once you reach the desired sear, flip and repeat. For a steak that thin, by the time it's seared, it should be cooked properly inside.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
DRY DRY DRY!

It's real easy to hard-sear a steak without overmuch penetration, and without a torch. S+P, let sit in the fridge 24hr, turning once. Rack it in front of a fan for half an hour. Alternatively SP and let sit an hour, then fan it to dry. This will surely sear very quick. You really should SP ahead of time so the seasoning penetrates and seals, instead of just building up on the pan.

And yeah, the pan has to be smokin, but if you want an even and not too crusty sear then not too smokin, exercise some temp control.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
One thing I tend to do is oil the steak, not the pan. I'll put the steak on a plate, season with salt and pepper, let it sit out for 45 minutes to an hour. Then lightly rub with oil. Then in goes in a very hot, dry cast iron skillet. And I judge when it is done by the firmness, something that took me a while to learn and I still sometimes get it a bit wrong.

mjb.

Joined Dec 27, 2017
3/4 of the battle in steak is making sure you have a good piece of meat. If you dont have a good cut then even a world class chef would have trouble making it taste good. If you want to pan sear then finish in an oven or in a grill then you need at least 1 1/4 thick steak, any cut will do provided it has good marbling and a decent edge of fat, as others have said your pan has to be rocket hot!! You literally cannot get the pan to hot( unless it’s a non stick or very thin, use a heavy pan) As with anything practice, practice, practice. I like mine at 130-135F

Top Bottom