How do I cook mushrooms?

Joined Jun 27, 2017
I want to add mushrooms to a food but I want the mushrooms unnoticeable. Any ideas? I've tried making calzone and chocolate bars with mushrooms but I still tasted the mushrooms in it. Also does cooking mushrooms help digest them, I don't eat any veggies or fruits besides things like potatoes, peppers, tomatoes (sauce) etc... When I consume mushrooms they initially seemed hard for me to digest really messed with my stool and stomach, but after adapting to them those problems have gone away.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Seems you don't like mushrooms so why add it?

Buy dried mushrooms. They'll be cheap at an Asian store, expensive at regular grocers.
Grind them down to powder in food processer or coffee grinder. Use the powder in your food. You'll be able to taste it so experiment with amounts to find what works for you.

I use powder mushrooms to boost the savory impact of dishes but I like the flavor as well.

You might try nutritional yeast flakes too. They have a more mild cheese like flavor but can disappear into many foods.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008
Such a bizarre question.

Slice the mushrooms, dry them out in a slow oven overnight, put them in a pot of cold water and heat up very slowly until it's slowly simmering, let simmer for a couple hours, throw away the mushroom stock and keep the bland rehydrated mushroom slices. If there is still any taste to them, repeat the entire process multiple times.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Unless it’s a texture aversion. In that case use the soaking water and throw away the bland rehydrated bits.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Unless it's both a texture and taste aversion. In that case soak the mushrooms in bleach, dry them out, douse with gasoline, set on fire, recover the ashes, calcinate them, soak in some good bourbon, strain though a coffee filter, age 15 years in oak casks and drink up until very drunk, you won't know the difference.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Such a bizarre question.

Slice the mushrooms, dry them out in a slow oven overnight, put them in a pot of cold water and heat up very slowly until it's slowly simmering, let simmer for a couple hours, throw away the mushroom stock and keep the bland rehydrated mushroom slices. If there is still any taste to them, repeat the entire process multiple times.
Throw away the mushroom stock?!

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I want to add mushrooms to a food but I want the mushrooms unnoticeable. Any ideas? I've tried making calzone and chocolate bars with mushrooms but I still tasted the mushrooms in it. Also does cooking mushrooms help digest them, I don't eat any veggies or fruits besides things like potatoes, peppers, tomatoes (sauce) etc... When I consume mushrooms they initially seemed hard for me to digest really messed with my stool and stomach, but after adapting to them those problems have gone away.
We hide mushrooms in foods by using a food processor. Just keep in mind if you are using raw mushrooms this way then they will release water into whatever you are cooking. Mushrooms have a very powerful flavor profile so you will need things equally powerful or more so to hide the taste if that is a problem.

If you are adding mushrooms simply for the variety in your diet there are numerous other vegetables you could add, even varieties of the ones you already eat.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Have you tried enoki mushrooms? Very mild in flavor. If you mince them and put into whatever you are cooking, they should be fairly unnoticeable.

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Unless it's both a texture and taste aversion. In that case soak the mushrooms in bleach, dry them out, douse with gasoline, set on fire, recover the ashes, calcinate them, soak in some good bourbon, strain though a coffee filter, age 15 years in oak casks and drink up until very drunk, you won't know the difference.
Holy crap that worked great.

Joined Jun 27, 2017
I don't understand why you want to add mushrooms if you hate mushrooms. Can you explain?
Well to be honest I've done the same thing with other veggies and fruits. I'll blend them up so theyre unnoticable. Like say a salsa, I will blend up very fine so there are no chunks, same with any sauce I really hate chunks.

On topic, I dried some mushrooms in my dehydrator, blended it up, and added it to a jam. It added some texture but I didn't taste it at all.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
This makes no sense. You want to figure out a way to add mushrooms to a dish but, you want them to be unnoticeable? What's the point of adding an ingredient that's unnoticeable?

Nevertheless, I have a solution. Pretend you're adding mushrooms but, the mushrooms are invisible. Go through the motions of preparing these invisible fungi and adding them to your dish. Tell everyone there are mushrooms in it and when they say, "wow....I didn't notice," you can declare "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED."

Cheers! :)

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Well to be honest I've done the same thing with other veggies and fruits. I'll blend them up so theyre unnoticable. Like say a salsa, I will blend up very fine so there are no chunks, same with any sauce I really hate chunks.
So it's a health thing, then? As far as I know, mushrooms are mostly healthy because of vitamin D and as a substitute for meat. The latter isn't going to work for you. As for the vitamin D, I'd go look up which dried mushrooms have the most (and I'm pretty sure it will be dried ones), grind them to fine powder, and add the powder to more or less anything. I'm pretty sure you can actually buy fine mushroom powder, in fact; while you're at it, I suspect you'd get the same benefit by buying powdered vitamin D or drinking D-enhanced milk, but hey.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
There's not a single vegetable you like?
Surely there got to be something as there is such a diversity?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Why are you adding mushrooms to things such as chocolate and jams? What is your end goal with these?

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Why are you adding mushrooms to things such as chocolate and jams? What is your end goal with these?
Maybe he figured it would hide the flavor well. Or maybe he was going for something like the garlic jams and spicy chili bars you see.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I don't understand why you want to add mushrooms if you hate mushrooms. Can you explain?
He could be trying to expand his pallet to foods and flavors he either didn't like before or was never introduced too. I believe quite a few people's taste buds and preferences change over time and trial and error combined with increased exposure may help him.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
He could be trying to expand his pallet to foods and flavors he either didn't like before or was never introduced too. I believe quite a few people's taste buds and preferences change over time and trial and error combined with increased exposure may help him.
Makes sense. I knew a heavy metal musician like that, who wanted to expand his musical horizons, only he didn't like jazz music. So what he started doing was playback jazz tunes at very low levels on his tiny bluetooth speaker, while his big stereo system was blasting loud heavy metal, so that the jazz music was unnoticeable. He believed the increased exposure to jazz music would help him change his musical preferences. Only now he suffers tinnitus (most likely due to the constant subconscious exposure to the aggressive high frequency content of horn instruments playing inharmonic tones).

Latest posts

Top Bottom