How do I cook an Ostrich egg?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jimyra, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have acquired two Ostrich eggs.  I put them in the refrigerator the day they were laid.  Any ideas on how long they will last?  How should I use them?  Each egg equals twenty four chicken eggs. In the past I have made omelets.    

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I couldn't begin to give you any insight in to using them other than naming off traditional egg dishes, but I would be very interested in what to do with them.  What's the flavor and texture like compared to chicken eggs?

3. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    They are "just like chicken" or very close.  To save the shell they come out a small hole cut in the end. 

4. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    There's an interesting recipe on the web for an ostritch egg stuffed bacon fatty. The egg is hardboiled, encased in ground sausage, covered with woven bacon, and grilled. Try the title in a Google to see the recipe/pics. It looks pretty cool.

5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Speaking of taste and texture of eggs, I recently had duck eggs.  They also are pretty much like chicken for taste, but the whites were rubbery and the yokes unpleasantly viscous done over-easy.   They ranged in size from an ordinary large to about twice the size of a jumbo.

Rick

6. neworleanscookj

neworleanscookj

Exp:
    Line Cook
     Sounds like a huge scotch egg grilled, and a heart attack. Sous vide them babies if you can.

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree about the whites.  They tend to be somewhat rubbery.  I can't comment on the yolks as I usually eat them over hard (yes...I know... blasphemy!).