How do I cook a sirloin cap?

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Thought about buying a whole sirloin cap in tact because I keep seeing brazilian videos on youtube saying it's really good. I don't know how I should cook it, I guess I want to make sure I cook the fat so the juices get into the meat? That's kind of the whole point of buying the thing whole right? So should I throw it in a cast iron and cook the fat then throw it into the oven?

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I would grill it medium rare, simply seasoned with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Let it rest before carving.
Have you ever cooked a tri tip? Treat it similarly.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
OK ... So I've never done a "sirloin cap" ... I have however ... done many "rib caps" ... the crescent of a rib-eye roast. I'll tell you how I do those and maybe you can use that and go from there.

I start out with a rib-eye roast of +/- 10 inches +/- 3lbs. I gently peal off the crescent. The big roundish part let I cut into "saratoga" steaks for another time. After cooking, taking in for shrinkage, I want four 2-inch slices. I lay it out flat and gently, with the back of a spot, remove excess loose fat; not at all the good stuff holding the meat together. I then paint it with a thin layer of extra-soft room-temp unsalted butter whipped w/ woosty-sauce. I then sprinkle in my favorite steak seasonings. I roll it back up as evenly as possible and gently tie it up w/ kitchen string. I use a wok w/ peanut oil and sear a nice crust on the entire roll. LOL. This does not at all cook the meat, just browns it up nicely. I let it cool then paint and season the outside like I did inside. That goes on a raised rack and into a 400*-450* oven for +/- 12-15 minutes, sometimes more sometimes less, until about 130-135 degrees internal. The rib cap has a soft texture, and while very tender when cooked rare, it lacks “body”. That may seem long, but I want it closer to medium than rare. After cooking is the mandatory rest of 10-minutes. It is very rich. Nobody ever complains.
This is a pic of the first rib-cap I had. NO ... I did not make this one, I bought it. ... $120/3lbs. YES ... $40/lb.
ribcap425x351_3_1.png
That was my first experience. NO ... I don't buy them any more. I'm a Chef for criminal sakes. I hope this helps.

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I was typing while chefbuba was posting. I guess I missed the "steak boat" for this trip. ... DUH.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 26, 2017
I've been eating sirloin caps almost daily for weeks now (bought too much when they were on sale).

I like it best cut into steaks and cook like a steak.

Whole-roasting it is fine, but the taste cannot compare to a rib roast.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
I like to toss them in the smoker, smoke to 135 internal, let rest, thin cut for french dip sandwiches. Good eats!

dogfood

Banned
Joined Mar 3, 2018
In "kanada", we have different names for cuts of meats.
Bought a $54 CDN (~5 bucks US? ;-) ) beef "tenderloin" today
Cut into ~3/4" steaks, semi freeze & vac packed (foodsaver) in twos (9x2)
With leftover red meat & the good fat - ground coarsely (twice) & made 5 nice burger patties (also freezing) for later.
Extra scrappies roasted with shallots & red wine (still roasting) for nice stock.
Tenderloin can be cheap if you care to break it down yourself.
tenderloins cut.jpg

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Agree with the different names. Makes it difficult :confused:
The piece of meat shown in Chef Buba's post looks like what we call here Rump steak,
Generally we slice it and cook as steaks. Preferably on the charcoal grill.
Cooking it on the bbq on low temp should also come out great (like Mary B suggests).
I also cube at times and use as satay or kebab

Latest posts

Top Bottom