How can I turn Pastry flour into cake flour

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kimmi, May 9, 2012.

1. kimmi

kimmi

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I have to make a lot of cupcakes and I have a lot of pastry flour, I want to know can I use the pastry flour instead of cake flour and if so what do I need to do.

Thank you Kim

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Pastry and cake flour are pretty much the same things, i.e., low gluten. Sometimes they're exactly the same things; but sometimes pastry flour can be ground a little finer.

In either case, because of their low gluten content they'll tend to give you a finer and less open crumb then AP and be somewhat less tolerant of over-beating.

BDL

3. kimmi

kimmi

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thank You

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As BDL stated both are very low in gluten but, what wasn't stated is that both are very high in starch and starch is a desired quality as far as thickeners are concerned.  If you want to make a roux or thicken something,  then cake/pastry flour is THE best thickener.  Just think of cornstarch.

BTW there is an inverse relationship between gluten and starch.  High gluten = low starch content whereas

Low gluten = elevated starch content.  Using a high gluten flour (bread flour) to thicken something will give the liquid/sauce a gummy mouth feel.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012