How can excessive pepper in soup be fixed

Joined Jun 11, 2013
My husband smoked a turkey breast the other day. In using up the turkey, he made turkey and wild rice soup yesterday using a recipe. He misread the amount of pepper and it's now overwhelming the flavor and barely edible (at least for me). The only thought I had was to make another batch without the pepper and combine it with this batch to dilute the pepper taste sensation; however, this used up the smoked turkey.

Any ideas on how to fix it and offset the pepper? Or chalk it up to learning to pay attention to details when reading a recipe? (And then try to persuade him to do what I do . . . season as you go by tasting it)

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I would throw it out. Or try diluting with a basic potato soup, or a basic cream soup. The amount of dilution needed may be extra, though, if the pepper-goof was really substantial... which it sounds like it was.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
I would throw it out. Or try diluting with a basic potato soup, or a basic cream soup. The amount of dilution needed may be extra, though, if the pepper-goof was really substantial... which it sounds like it was.
Thanks! The potato soup idea is worth trying.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I wouldn't throw it out! Then again I'm pretty much immune to black pepper.

Depending on how overwhelming, you could make all sorts of stuff with it. Not too overwhelming? Make sandwiches with white bread, lettuce, tomato slices, or avocado slices, sour cream etc... to soften the sharpness. Completely overwhelming? Dice finely and use the dices as you would use black pepper: to season a rice, a pasta dish, to perk up a sandwhich, to top mashed potatoes, for a hash, etc...

The problem with soup is the water content, which tends to help the pain inducing molecules make contact with your tongue, enhancing the pain sensation. I would favor dry kind of use.

How about a banh mi? (hold the chili peppers of course)

A pot of beans and diced pepper turkey?

Lentils with carrots, celery, onion and pepper turkey?

Pepper turkey tacos with corn tortillas, avocado, sour cream and grated cheese?

French crêpes with mornaise (béchamel, egg, cheese) and pepper turkey.

Pepper turkey omelette with green lettuce.

Etc etc....

Last edited:
Joined Mar 1, 2017
The best way to deal with too much pepper in your soup is to start liking pepper. 🙃

There's nothing that can be done to mitigate too much pepper. I agree with the others. You can reduce the soup and use it as a base for other dishes. Kind of like a smoked turkey and pepper demi glace sort of thing.

Cheers! :)

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Strain soup. Measure broth and divide broth into two separate containers. If original measure was 4 cups, then add 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock to each container. Put the remaining soup ingredients back into one of the containers. Should be good to go unless way overkill on pepper originally. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. Use the other container of broth to make another soup.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
I should have posted this earlier.

We strained the soup and completely replaced the broth . . . and it was still too peppery for my taste. My husband thought it was okay. Our neighbor, who frequently comes over for dinner, took the rest of it home with him and fed it to his friends. He thought it was edible but still had too much pepper.

The upside is that it wasn't a total loss. And my husband had a good lesson on why you really need to take a close look at 'teaspoon' versus 'tablespoon' when reading a recipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom