How are you spending kitchen time with yours?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had posted pics in the December challenge of my 10 yr. old granddaughter helping me make sausage. She did all the grinding. Today I bought two Boston Butts @ 4 lbs. ea. and put her to work again . . . this time with a real sharp knife - my vintage Sabatier boning knife. I did the boning and she did the cutting and then she measured out the seasoning as I called it and will be back tomorrow to put this 8+ lbs. of sausage meat into casings. She''s game I'm tell'n ya -any time I'm cooking she's asking questions that I'm more than happy to answer/explain.

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
My daughter and I are working on a polenta lasagna.

We made the polenta and ragu tonight. Tomorrow they join forces as lasagna.

So spreading the cheese polenta into an oiled jelly roll pan should yield two 9x13 ish layers of polenta for lasagna. Or close enough. But can I keep the polenta intact for the transfer? I'm having doubts about that. Maybe I can get a thin cutting board underneath.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
But can I keep the polenta intact for the transfer? I'm having doubts about that.
Cut a piece of parchment so that same width as jelly roll pan, but leave length untrimmed so that it is longer than pan. Place parchment paper on top of the cooked polenta in the first pan leaving exposed length on both ends. Place a second jelly roll pan on top of the parchment covered polenta. Hold both pans together and flip over. Polenta should come out on bottom of second pan making it easier to transfer because you won't have an edge to deal with and parchment paper will also assist in transfer..

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
That is better than what I did last night. In getting it to release it folded and broke in three pieces. Manageable. This is the weirdest half.

IMG_20200202_163133-01.jpeg

Came out on the runny side of things but I have to say I like polenta lasagna.

IMG_20200202_174112-01.jpeg

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Seems to absorb less liquid out of the sauce and such. Make it drier than you would otherwise is my advice.

Top Bottom