How are you preparing your turkey this year?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, Nov 16, 2009.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    So everyone lets have it what are your plans for Turkey this Thanksgiving? Old faithful or are you trying something new.

I am thinking of doing a deep fried turkey since I have never done one before.

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Traditional roasted with stuffing. I make the stuffing with homemade stock and the turkey neck meat from making the stock. That was yesterdays project, I have 3 quarts of stock in the freezer and a gallon bag of neck meat.

3. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Mary do you stuff the bird or cook the stuffing separately?

4. cyberdoc

cyberdoc

Exp:
    Home Chef
    We're going unique this year. Coq au Vin using turkey, with a Johnny Cake based stuffing.

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The usual. The holiday is for what the family asks for, and other times of year are for experimenting.

As experiments succeed, they get asked for at holidays so there is some culinary drift over time.

6. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    As a non-American - we don't celebrate Thanksgiving.... but I wish you all a wonderful family occasion!

7. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    As always: Two smoked turkeys, and a smoked salmon for the dinner. Also half of a third smoked turkey, so my Dad has a substantial amount of "leftovers."

BDL

8. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    All 56 of them will be roasted in our combi ovens and alto shams overnight. They are coming in from Carolina on this Thursday(28 crates). Have been saving bread and rolls for the last 3 weeks. 14 cases sweet potatoes, 300 pounds chef potatoes, 8 cases fresh cranberries. Baby onions, Fresh Brussel Sprouts and on and on.

9. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    56 TURKEYS coming in this THURSDAY from Carolina (28 cases) will be cooked in combi and alto shams overnight thanksging eve. 7, cases fresh cranberries, 350 lbs chef potatoes, 8 cases sweet potato, 300 lbs brussel sprouts fresh and 200lbs baby onions from Holland coming this friday. Been saving bread and rolls last 3 weeks. 60 pumpkin pies, 30 custard pie, 20 mince pies( all made here) Thank God once a year This is final ingredient counts.:chef:

10. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How many countries are you feeding Ed?

11. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This will be a bitter sweet Thanksgiving this year. My wife and I both lost our fathers (2 months apart) in Dec and Feb. So I am going to do a really traditional New England Thanksgiving. That's what everyone looks forward to, and I love spending a couple days playing in my MIL kitchen.

12. cyberdoc

cyberdoc

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Our prayers are with you.

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My sympathies. Over our 22 years of marriage, my wife and I have spent WAY more time with her family than mine come holiday season. I would have enjoyed showing off my culinary skills to my father. Too late now, sad to say. My mother passed when I was 10, not much cooking inspiration from her. Sigh.

This year no real plans for Thanksgiving, we'll be staying at home, maybe a few friends over. I've not heard back from Batali or Morimoto whether or not they can make it over for dinner, I have this sneaking suspicion they might have other plans for the weekend.

While it may be a small group here for Thanksgiving, I might still do a large turkey. The motivation is that come Christmas, a holiday our families celebrate, we are expecting a packed house here in Salt Lake. So doing a big turkey this month will result in a good supply of stock base, etc. come December.

It may be, though, that I throw some of Karen's family for a loop. They always have turkey at Christmas. I'm thinking of throwing beef standing rib roast and Yorkshire pudding into the mix. Roast goose might be too much of a stretch for them. We shall see.

mjb.

14. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'll brine the bird (only about 10-12 pounds), then roast with the cavities filled with apples, onions and herbs. Others are bringing every other part of the meal, so it'll be a joint effort.

I lost my mom in February; DH lost his dad shortly before Thanksgiving two years ago. That weekend was also to be his 60th wedding anniversary with my MIL. My SIL is still agonized over it, but the rest of us move on a bit more every year. I hadn't celebrated Thanksgiving with my mom in decades, so the loss is less acutely felt for her.

15. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    In the bird. My family has been doing it that way for years. The only changes I have made to the original recipe was a very reduced turkey stock instead of just the stock from the giblets. Also cooking the day before at friends. They invite all the single people with no where to go for holidays. Having 20+ people this year and serving turkey and ham, mashed, gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top, jello salad, squash, some other veg. Making 4 pies for Wed and 2 more for Thursday. Cooking for others and seeing the smiles is way better than having to be paid for it.

16. mikhon

mikhon

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I use the Traditional Turkey Rub recipe. It is simple to do and easy. Just try this:

Traditional Turkey Rub

To make sure the turkey meat is seasoned well, turkey rubs should be applied beneath the skin.

It can take 10 minutes to prepare

Ingredients:

* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    * 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    * 1 teaspoons poultry seasoning
    * 1 teaspoon paprika
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon basil

Mix all the spices and keep them in an air tight container. This should produce plenty of rub for a twenty pound turkey.

Hope you will try recipe I have here. GoodLuck!

Turkey Deep Fryer - Turkey Rubs

17. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Approx 1300 guest. Sorry to hear of your loss. EJB

18. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Although I am trying something new this year by deep frying my all time favorite method is one I learned from Jaques Pepin. First you prepare the stuffing mixture you will use. Then you break down the bird leaving both breats in tack and together with the wings. Next place the stuffing in the bottom of the roasting pan and place the turkey breasts over the stuffing. Debone both legs and thighs and then place the left over stuffing in each leg and roll them back up into their original shape and place them back in the original location. Roast the bird and the juices drip down into the stuffing and it is heavenly. Also because the bird is broken down it takes much less time to cook.

19. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Nicko, Julia Child describes a similar method in The Way to Cook. I've mulled this, but one family member seems to need a Norman Rockwell-type turkey on the table to feel satisfied. So I'll roast the bird whole, although I'll bake the stuffing separately.

20. hotchpotch

hotchpotch

Exp:
    Can't Boil Water
    If there is one tradition around our house it is that there “are no traditions”.

In the last 40+ years of living in American I have prepared Turkey twice on Thanksgiving – once was brined and once was deep-fried. As with most festive holidays we are having some friends over (fellow retired or working chef’s with spouses) and we then prepare a theme style thanksgiving. This year it’s going to be Thai and while I did not draw responsibilities for the main protien courses I do know that we will be having Thai style Turkey as one.

Around our house ever meal is new and hopefully exciting, I feel life is too short to waste on food re-run’s.