how am i suppose to cook a tenderlion / flaminyawn

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Everytime i cook this steak it overcooks because it's so small.

GKdlCam.jpg

It looks terrible, flavor is lackluster. Not juicy at all, and easily overcooks.

any idea what I should do? It's a 15-20 dollar steak for this little piece of meat that in my experience always turns out bad.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It's tender and that's about all it's really got going for it it doesn't have a lot of flavor. It's not objectionable but it's probably my least favorite muscle on cattle

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Hello spicyfood spicyfood ! Cooking steak can be tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that difficult. So, please elaborate on your method so we can diagnose the problem. I see you used tenderloin (Filet Mignon). That is a very tender cut and is best cooked very quickly on very high heat. Did you grill or cook in pan on stove? How do you like your steak cooked? Rare, Mid-rare, medium, med-well, well-done? That helps a lot too.

Joined Jan 31, 2012
Pan sear and cook, youre looking for an internal temp of around 130 to 135 F.
It aint gonna take very long, watch it closely.

Joined Jan 25, 2013
I do my steaks and boneless pork loin chops in a hot(starts to smoke) cast iron skillet. 90 sec to 2 minutes a side, i use a timer to make sure. transfer to pan or plate, then rest in 350F oven for 5 to 10 minutes. the first time you do it, sear 90 seconds a side and 5 minutes in oven and see how you like it. if too rare, you can go back in oven for a few more minutes.

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Hello spicyfood spicyfood ! Cooking steak can be tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that difficult. So, please elaborate on your method so we can diagnose the problem. I see you used tenderloin (Filet Mignon). That is a very tender cut and is best cooked very quickly on very high heat. Did you grill or cook in pan on stove? How do you like your steak cooked? Rare, Mid-rare, medium, med-well, well-done? That helps a lot too.

Sorry I was gone for a while.

I cooked this steak on a pan at about a 6 or 7. For idk how many minutes because I wasn't sure how long/heat to cook such a thin steak. I did the touch test, it felt like it was medium going on medium well, but it was over cooked.

I wasn't even able to baste it. Let alone give it a good sear and throw it in the oven, It would of definitely over cooked then. Not sure if I'll buy another cut like this again but if I do I'm open to suggestions for the future. It seems like a really hard piece of meat to cook properly.

Joined Jan 25, 2013
i prefer top sirloin and dig around in the meat counter till I find some at least 3/4" thick. like i said, try 90 seconds a side, by the clock, then rest for 10 minutes and see what you get.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Sorry I was gone for a while.

I cooked this steak on a pan at about a 6 or 7. For idk how many minutes because I wasn't sure how long/heat to cook such a thin steak. I did the touch test, it felt like it was medium going on medium well, but it was over cooked.

I wasn't even able to baste it. Let alone give it a good sear and throw it in the oven, It would of definitely over cooked then. Not sure if I'll buy another cut like this again but if I do I'm open to suggestions for the future. It seems like a really hard piece of meat to cook properly.
Yes, it is quite difficult. The basic problem is that it has no fat, so it dries out insanely quickly.

Some people suggest baking the steak at the lowest setting your oven will allow, checking regularly with a good thermometer, and stopping when you hit about 125F. Then you heat several Tb neutral high-heat oil (Canola, etc.) in a pan to smoking, season the steak, and put it in the pan just until you get a crust, a minute or so per side, turning once. This works fine.

Another possibility is to leave the steak sitting on the counter for a few hours until it comes to room temperature, then cook in the screaming-hot pan as above, but turn every 30 seconds. It'll be done in maybe 5 minutes.

Yet another possibility, which I've not tried, is to cook it medium-high from frozen. Supposedly this keeps the heat from overcooking and drying out the inside. I'm skeptical, myself.

Whatever method you use, you must test with a thermometer constantly. Yes, it can be done by feel, but it's not easy, as you've discovered, and filet mignon is one of the most unforgiving steaks. In addition, once you've cooked it, you must rest it a good 5 minutes, or it'll be dry on the outside and (if you've done well) mushy and semi-raw on the inside.

As many others have indicated, you may well be disappointed with the results even if you cook it perfectly. It's just not a very interesting cut of meat. If I'm eating tenderloin for some reason, I'd much rather roast a whole one.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
With a light hand pound it out a tiny bit thinner and do chicken fried steak.
Have as a sandwich or plate with cream gravy with a ton of pepper.
Either way don't slack on the fries...hand cut.

mimi

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Why do you have to plant this seed in my brain when I'm working on only my second cup of coffee?

It must be fry weather, I've been thinking about triple cooked fries all afternoon. I suspect I will be making them tomorrow. Now I know what to have with...

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
To do thin steaks like this at home, plan on smoking out your house or apartment. It really takes a super hot pan (I prefer cast iron as it really keeps its heat when food is added). Don't overcrowd the pan. Brush your steak with a little oil (not much fat to render out and self grease itself) season with salt and pepper and sear for about 90 seconds to 2 minutes each side. This will produce a significant amount of smoke, but if you want a good steak then you are doing it right if you set off your smoke alarm. Let rest for a few minutes then eat. Hard to tell but I think this steak is too thin to need any oven time.

Joined Jan 15, 2012
I'd never cut filet mignon so thin. Not sure where you are located, but have you considered buying the whole filet and cutting into thicker steaks or roasting part whole, like Chateaubriand? At Western Beef or Fairway, whole filet if often on sale for 7 or 8 dollars per pound.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I'm sorry ... I don't want to be rude ... but WHY would anyone ever pound out a filet for anything? There are a whole bunch of meat cuts just asking to be pounded out and/or jaccarded until tender as can be. Filet $ for chx-fried steak?!? Are you kidding?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I agree with Iceman, I wouldn't pound out fillet mignon, but I must agree with the others, I have never seen it sliced so thin though.

I would buy a much thicker piece and still prepare it on a hot charcoal fire or very hot cast iron skillet or griddle pan. Cooking it from frozen can work.
The most common way I have seen it, is thick cut (4-5 cm thick) with a strip of bacon around it.

Top Bottom