Hours

Joined May 23, 2016
Probably because this is the only industry I know of that pays crap wages, probably because this is the only industry I know of in N. America that doesn't have recognized qualifications for its workers.....

Spoken like a true chef. Do you know how many times I have discussed this with people and they say "Well it's only cooking how hard can it be?"

My quick reply, "How often do you cook for yourself"? The answer is most oft almost always hardly ever. Now let's get into WHY, "I don't know how". Hmm, so how hard is it again?

How many hours would I have to work in a kitchen. *Shakes head*. If you knew me, you'd know I have to watch EVERYTHING...............

Joined Dec 23, 2004
It must be nice to work in Canada and Europe, Foodpump. A great many industries in the US pay crap wages! The top 0.1% of the people have half the wealth. Production and manufacturing jobs have largely vanished, replaced with McJobs in the service industry, most of which come with poor pay, poor hours, no benefits and no job security. Despite this fairly raw deal people keep running on the treadmill as the top tier is constantly chipping away at the little bit they don't already have. There's little in the way of a social safety net and it frays a bit more each year.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Hi Phaedrus,

Well, yeah. But then again cooking is probably the second oldest profession in the world.
If you look at most of the other trades and professions in N.America, the cooks are at the bottom of the pay scale. I'm sure you know what an electrician or plumber with three yrs experience and a trade qualification earns, vs. a cook with a culinary diploma and 3 years experience earns.

The reasons for this--in my mind, are the simple facts that there's waaaaay too much competition for the dining dollar, and that there is no recognized trade qualification to "hang" a salary scale onto, as well as something that the culinary schools can "hang" or base their curriculum on.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Hi Phaedrus,

Well, yeah. But then again cooking is probably the second oldest profession in the world.
If you look at most of the other trades and professions in N.America, the cooks are at the bottom of the pay scale. I'm sure you know what an electrician or plumber with three yrs experience and a trade qualification earns, vs. a cook with a culinary diploma and 3 years experience earns.

The reasons for this--in my mind, are the simple facts that there's waaaaay too much competition for the dining dollar, and that there is no recognized trade qualification to "hang" a salary scale onto, as well as something that the culinary schools can "hang" or base their curriculum on.

The first oldest profession in the world takes very little training and pays well. The second oldest profession needs more training, gets screwed everyday and doesn't get good pay....Go figure!

Joined Feb 19, 2019
The first oldest profession in the world takes very little training and pays well. The second oldest profession needs more training, gets screwed everyday and doesn't get good pay....Go figure!

And it should actually be the oldest profession that gets screwed - no pun intended :)
Sorry - but I did burst out laughing there

First oldest profession, Farmers?

Absolutely - I mean, farmers reap what they sow...minor detail in regards to the oldest profession is, that they are not the ones ding the "sowing".... :)

Top Bottom