Hot Diggitey Dog!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
So my wife volunteered me for a cooking gig at her church. In a couple of weeks I'll be spending a Saturday afternoon cooking about 250 - 300 hot dogs for some sort of event for families. Sounds like there is a potential for LOTS of screaming little children, hope I can handle it.

I plan to preheat the dogs in a slow cooker, then finish on my Weber Kettle. If the weather is willing to work with me, that is. Most likely won't put much effort into making fancy, gourmet presentations and such. Just you basic hot dog lunch.

We'll see how it goes.

mjb.

weiner-cide.jpg

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Yes... Roll-a-Dog (I had no idea that was it’s official name having just used one but never bought one)!!!

For that many people I would seek rental of a couple of them. Especially if the majority is going to want a weenie all at one time...

Do you have any idea of how your throughput will be distributed? It will be important to understand when your going to get slammed and when you should/can roll up the carpet. Otherwise it’s really hard to keep the right amount of food hot.

The dogs will hold a long time on the rollers just as they hold a long time in dirty water. Most folks probably wouldn’t mind if their dog never got grilled. You might want to ask yourself if that’s a real requirement.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
NYC Hot Dog cart #101 - Keep several pots of water boiling. Add the dogs as needed to the water and par cook. Finish on a grill and serve. Rinse and repeat.

Hot dogs cook incredibly fast in bulk in boiling water and take little time to brown on a hot griddle or grill.

They are hot dogs. Don't overthink it. :)

Good luck!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I had no idea that NY street dogs were finished on a grill. In my limited exposure to them and Chicago dogs I though they were just simmered/boiled. Maybe I should eat hot dogs at better places! Personally I like them steamed when not grilled.

Last edited:
Joined May 25, 2015
If you notice the front and back can have their temperatures set differently, one high for cooking and the other for holding- if you so desire. sgsvirgil sgsvirgil gives good advice about par boiling. Throw them on the Roll-A-Dog and they should cook real fast.

I also wouldn't get too carried away with the initial estimates of 250-300 dogs unless maybe there are going to be like 400 people and the dogs are the only food being served.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Why bother pre-heating the dogs in a slow cooker? Dogs should heat pretty quick from cold just on the grill. Maybe better to cook on the grill then use the slow cooker to keep them warm??

It's a lot of hotdogs but this event should be a breeze.

What are you doing for sides??

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I had no idea that NY street dogs were finished on a grill. In my limited exposure to them and Chicago dogs I though they were just simmered/boiled. Maybe I should eat hot dogs at better places! Personally I like them steamed when not grilled.
NYC street dogs are not typically finished on a grill. You are absolutely right about that. In re-reading my comment, I can see where what I said is a bit confusing.

My point was to draw a reference to the fact that NYC street carts simply boil the HD's, hold them in hot water and serve. I didn't mean to imply that NYC street vendors finish the dogs on a grill. :)

Joined Dec 18, 2010
NYC street dogs are not typically finished on a grill. You are absolutely right about that. In re-reading my comment, I can see where what I said is a bit confusing.

My point was to draw a reference to the fact that NYC street carts simply boil the HD's, hold them in hot water and serve. I didn't mean to imply that NYC street vendors finish the dogs on a grill. :)
Thanks for that clarification.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I guess I failed to ask over how long a period will you be cooking and serving said hot dogs? If it is a small time frame I would just grill them and transfer to a hotel pan or Cambro and let someone else server from there/self serve. I think hot holding the dogs in water before grilling would only be necessary if you needed to have them semi hot over a long period of time.

Joined May 25, 2015
For 400 you might need 300 - 400 dogs. Street dogs, dirty water dogs, coneys they all have steamed buns too.

Dunno. I guess you have to know your customers. Around here my experience is that I would never see 1 dog per customer. Many adults just won't eat them and many kids are too fussy and don't like them. That's OK though, more for me. :emoji_hotdog:

Actually many cart vendors doctor up the water with secret spices to add their own signature flavor. No, no grill but the buns are steamed as was mentioned.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
This church anniversary thing is an annual event, I understand, the guy who usually does the hot dogs will be unavailable that weekend. I don't need to worry about side dishes or anything else, just the dogs. It takes place over a span of 3 - 4 hours, I expect some busy times but no huge rushes.

And I don't think I'll be spending a few hundred for a hot dog roller for this one time thing.

mjb.

Top Bottom