Hot box

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by New chef Beth, Aug 28, 2017.

1. New chef Beth

New chef Beth

Exp:
    Self taught, 20 years, entrepreneur bone broth/soup business
    I am about to experience my first large catering job. I will be making whole Salmons and whole chickens with the backbone and ribs removed. My plan is to keep them warm in the hot box prior to service. But I will be cooking for 6 to 7 hours and do not want the meets to dry out. What temperature do I keep the hot box at to keep this from happening?

2. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Beth, Welcome to Cheftalk. I would stack the chicken on a wire in a hotel plan and seal it tight. This will build up steam and keep it in good condition. I would also wrap each salmon in alum foil and stack those also. Don't stack the salmon as in crushing them, just to keep them warm. You also don't want direct heat hitting the bottom of the pans. You want more of a steam condition. Make sure you put a pan of water in the hot box, you don't want dry heat. Once everything is cooked to temperature you only need to hold it to about 145. When you stack your meats in a 4" pan and seal it, the meat will generate heat inside the pan and keep itself hot. I would set the hot box for 185 and adjust as needed. Hot Boxes have a tendency of loosing a lot of heat when the door is opened.........Good Luck........ChefBillyB

3. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Are you going to hold for 6 to 7 hours? Your post is a bit confusing.

4. New chef Beth

New chef Beth

Exp:
    Self taught, 20 years, entrepreneur bone broth/soup business
    Thank you Chef Billy. This was extremely helpful. This forum is a great find.