HORSE RADISH AND BEEF SANDWICH IDEA

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by elyas999, Apr 1, 2013.

1. elyas999

elyas999

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    what do you think it will be the best to make a sandwich with horseradish and beef?

2. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hm, based on the ingredients I'd go with a pretty rare roast beef, freshly grated horseradish, a coarse-grained mustard, cornichons and a robust sourdough bread. Nothing fancy to be done there, the ingredients call for simplicity.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd probably consider some sort of swiss cheese as well.

mjb.

4. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's interesting - I really can't imagine a swiss cheese there that would fit without either being overwhelmed by the quite intense roast beef/horseradish combination or else overwhelming it itself. Might be my upbringing - cheese on sandwiches always went with ham or bacon, but never with roast beef. You got a particular one in mind, teamfat?

5. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Sometimes in specialty cheese shops I can find this fabulous cheese made in Switzerland called "meerrettichrahmkaese" or translated, horseradish cream cheese. It's different than horseradish blended into our American style Philly cream cheese, more like a really, really thick mascarpone with a bit of cheesy tang and then really bright horseradish. 

This cheese is wonderful with roast beef of any sort. I also like it a lot with smoked turkey or Westphalian ham.

Something like that would be a real winner on your sandwich, I'm sure.

Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to find. I've gone to several cheese shops in NYC and been unlucky. Maybe sometime soon I can find a way to  replicate it.

6. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Roast beef sandwiches served with horseradish cream has been served for years in many places. As far as straight grated horseradish I think it would be to strong, but to each his own.

7. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Merk makes a horseradish cheddar that most markets have , that goes real good with roast beef

8. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    i use it all the time(with ham in this pick)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Rare roast beef sliced thin, sprinkle of salt, shaved red onion and horse radish on thin crusty bread - done.  Pickle on the side if you want and a cold beer complete the picture.

10. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Speaking of horseradish-

I made the huge mistake of planting one little horseradish plant in my herb garden about eight years ago.

Now it's everywhere! Huge plants (pretty though) huge roots. 

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to grate this stuff without having to wear a gas mask and clear the house of any living beings beforehand?

I made the additional mistake of digging up ONE root, peeling and grating it in my food processor.

WE HAD TO RUN FOR OUR LIVES!

I thought my eyes were melting! and my sinuses felt on the verge of causing a brain hemorrhage!

11. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Food, you are doomed. As soon as you let it run free in your garden... well... It takes over ;)

12. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    It's like Day of the Trifids!

13. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Try using a sharp microplane, it comes out like fluffy snow and you can do quite a bit before the tears flow, say half a large root.

14. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And, if you plant it in the garden - place a root barrier about 30 cm deep into the earth around it, or it WILL take over the place :D