Horrible Fly Problem Need HELP!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by crazycarlsa, Apr 30, 2017.

1. crazycarlsa

crazycarlsa

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hey all... I own a bbq restaurant in south central TX. Our entire dining area is outdoors and every year when the Texas heat and humidity comes rolling in we experience a horrible fly situation. I know being outdoors flies will be natural and I can live with that... but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about when I set down someone's food within seconds there are literally 10-15 flies swarming their table. It's ruining our reputation, sales are decreasing, and quite honestly it's embarrassing. I've tried everything we can think of. We keep the restaurant as clean as possible, spray down the gravel outdoors every morning with a bleach solution, wipe down the tables with bleach after every customer, and don't keep any trashcans in the dining area. I've gone through 2 different pest control companies now... each one tells me there's nothing that we are doing wrong but they can't seem to help the situation. I've tried hanging several of the plastic baggies with water and a few pennies in each, even tried having a basil plant on each table as I heard that would deter them. Nothing is working. I'm not sure if it's our location, being right on the outskirts of the downtown area and located next to a big open field but I need to improve this before it ruins us for good. Please please please feel free to share with me any tips or advice you might have. I know I will never solve the problem completely, but even marginally improving it would be a big help. In Houston a lot of people I know install misting systems on their patios for the mosquitos, I'm thinking maybe something like that would work for the flies but then I'm concerned adding more moisture to the air will make the problem worse. I appreciate your time for reading this and thank you in advance for your help.

2. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Does the dining area have a roof where you could add ceiling fans or corner fans for a good breeze? A strong enough constant air movement would help with the flies and feel good in the Texas heat as well.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Screen it off. That limits access for the flies but keeps the air flow.

4. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Also it might pay to investigate your neighbors- we have a fly problem in our backyard at home and couldn't work out why they were so bad.
    Turns out the owner behind us keeps a large aviary of racing pigeons, so obviously their droppings attract flys.

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cut a lemon in half. Stud each half with 6-8 cloves. Put on a plate and place on table.

6. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I would do all of the above. Check the surrounding area for the source of the flies. Screen off the seating area. Invest in some bug zappers. Contact the Dept. of Environmental Conservation. They might have some answers and be able to help with sourcing the flies.

I'm not a fan of pest control companies. They only seem to be good for generating their own income.