Homemade Sausage Question

Joined Dec 17, 2002
I teach a Culinary Arts class at a vocational high school and I would like to implement some sausage making into the curriculum. I brushed on this in college and I am somewhat knowlegable about it. Does anybody have any good books, magazines, or sites that are both informational to students and offer a wide variety of sausages? Help?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Try these books:

Garde Manger: The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen by The Culinary Institute of America

The Professional Garde Manger: A Guide to the Art of the Buffet by David Paul Larousse

Home Sausage Making by Charles G. Reavis

The Sausage Making Cookbook by Jerry Predika

Making Great Sausage: 30 Savory Links from Around the World by Chris Kobler

Joined Oct 28, 1999
Bruce Aidells, the San Francisco-area legendary sausage maker, has a great book floating around out there. His products are also available commercially, so you can compare your execution of his recipes to the 'real deal'.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I have tried a couple of recipes for pate and rillettes in Jane Grigson's "The Art of Making Sausages, Pates and Other Charcuterie". I don't know if it's in print any more, but here's the ISBN number:394-73252-9. The publication date is 1985.

Good luck! I hope it's less unsightly than passing legislation.... ;)

Joined May 26, 2001
Here's one of the threads on eGullet in which one of the members discusses his foray into sausage making and smoking. You'll probably enjoy reading it. Search for other posts by him, and you'll get a wealth of information.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Great Sausage Recipes by Rytek Kutas.

It's an old book which teaches a lot about sausage making. Lots of recipes and illustrations.

Kuan

Joined Dec 17, 2002
Thanks,
Over the past few years of moving, I had miss-placed a great book of sausage-making from various countries and had a ton of recipes in it. I am having trouble finding it. I wanted to purchase a couple of pork shoulders, grind em' up and start filling some casings! Thanks for the author/book titles it is a big help in finding a replacement.
schoolchef

Joined Dec 17, 2002
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the sites! Those two look pretty resourceful for my students to use. I'm going to develop a work sheet with hyperlinks as part of their research and I'll stuff those in it. Thanks so much.
schoolchef :)

Top Bottom