Homemade Riccota

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by willtherebefood, Apr 22, 2013.

1. willtherebefood

willtherebefood

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have a recipe for making ricotta that use milk and heavy cream as well as salt and vinegar. I don't have any heavy cream on hand, but I do have light cream. Do you think I could make a creamy, tasety ricotta using light cream? I know light cream has half as much fat as heavy cream, so I am thinking of cutting back the milk and doubling the amont of cream-- using light cream. Would that work?

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  3. kccjer

kccjer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you would probably be ok.  I make ricotta from whey after making hard cheese, so I don't have a lot of fat left in there to begin with.  My ricotta is creamy and very mild.  I would think you could use the light cream just as well as the heavy and still have a very good ricotta.  My recipe also says to add a quart of milk to increase the yield....I haven't done that as I make cheese every 3 or 4 days and am finding it difficult to use up the ricotta I already have.

4. wilkinsonkindra

wilkinsonkindra

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I always make ricotta at home, Have you tried Spinach Ricotta Pie, It's very delicious. I would like to share the recipe
    ---------------

sip trunk

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013