Homemade coffee creamers

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Hello fellow coffee lovers. I really enjoy flavored coffee and since pumpkin spice season is here I want to try to make my own. It's not something I get to enjoy often because it is nearly impossible to find unsweetened coffee drinks out at cafes. And flavored coffee creamers are also too sugary and loaded with substances I don't care to ingest. I've tried buying flavored coffee grounds to forego sweeteners but there is no indication on the package of what it is flavored with and are always marked "artificially flavored" so no thanks.

So I'm looking into making my own fresh dairy based creamer and I looked on youtube for some inspiration. Many are made with a combination of cream, milk, condensed milk, etc. It looks like I'm in for some experimentation and I thought I'd check in to see if anyone's made anything like this before. This is the closest to what I thought would work Except I would not be adding any sugar or sweetener at all.

I'm unsure if I'm looking for pumpkin spice flavor with just the spices, or if I want to include actual pumpkin in this. I'd have to buy a whole can for that and only use up a couple of tablespoons of the stuff so I'd have to find something to do with the rest!

I want to use half and half, no evaporated milk for me. I want to steep the spices and scald the milk but not bring it to a boil. Let it cool and then strain well. I don't think fine mesh would do it for me, I don't want ground spices floating around at all so could I use a coffee filter to strain the milk? Will it go through?

Please, no judgments on pumpkin spice! I like it and that's that.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
A coffee filter should work fine for that. My only suggestion would be to steep your spices in full cream. Make it a little on the strong side. Then add milk to achieve the flavor and exact consistency you want.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
I'm unsure if I'm looking for pumpkin spice flavor with just the spices, or if I want to include actual pumpkin in this. I'd have to buy a whole can for that and only use up a couple of tablespoons of the stuff so I'd have to find something to do with the rest!
One available option, to buying a can of pumpkin, is dried pumpkin powder. Or if you buy a can, make pumpkin bread, soup, sauce, or vinaigrette with the rest.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
IMG_8523.JPG Made it! I used half n half, a spoonful of pumpkin purée, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, clove, and nutmeg. Warmed and steeped for an hour and then I strained it. It would not go through a coffee filter but I strained it with a fine mesh strainer twice and it was fine. It needs more spices and more pumpkin next time because it was a bit light. But very good! It's nice to drink a pumpkin spiced coffee without sugar and chemicals!! I even used some to spice up my son's morning milk. I fully endorse this!

Last edited:
Top Bottom