homemade cake mix....

Joined Jun 25, 2001
Hi everybody,
the holiday season is coming and i wanted to make mix packets for hot chocolate and cakes to give to friends at work......i was wondering how to make a cake mix at home that just requires the the person to add water and bake .
So i need all ingrds to be in powder form........can someone help me or point me in the right direction.........
thanks
:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :look: :crazy:

Joined Sep 23, 2004
1 + 7/8 cups cake flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1½ cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup vegetable shortening

Sift together flour, cocoa, soda, and salt; stir to blend; resift with
sugar. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture
looks crumbly. Label and store in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature. Makes 1 package of mix. Each package makes two 8- or 9-inch layers or one 9" x 13" x 2" inch oblong cake.

TO USE: Pour 1 package of mix into a mixing bowl; add 1¼ cups milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract. Using an electric mixer, beat at a slow to medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl frequently. Add 2 eggs; beat 1 minute more. Grease and dust with flour your choice of pan(s); spread batter evenly in pans. Bake round cake pans at 350° F. for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes in their pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto racks.

Joined Jun 25, 2001
Thank you Zukerig.............i appreciate the response..........will definately try it out. I also noticed that your cake does not have any egg in it...........

i was reading that back of the cake mix box and saw that there is vegetable shortening in it..........i wonder where do you get powdered vegetable shortening...... :)

Joined Jun 25, 2001
sorry did not read the directions properly...i saw the egg called for in the recipe later....
thanks again

Latest posts

Top Bottom