homemade cake mix....

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by sweetdreams, Nov 10, 2004.

1. sweetdreams

sweetdreams

Hi everybody,
    the holiday season is coming and i wanted to make mix packets for hot chocolate and cakes to give to friends at work......i was wondering how to make a cake mix at home that just requires the the person to add water and bake .
    So i need all ingrds to be in powder form........can someone help me or point me in the right direction.........
    thanks
    :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :look: :crazy:

2. zukerig

zukerig

1 + 7/8 cups cake flour
    2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    ¾ teaspoon salt
    1½ cups granulated sugar
    2/3 cup vegetable shortening

Sift together flour, cocoa, soda, and salt; stir to blend; resift with
    sugar. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture
    looks crumbly. Label and store in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature. Makes 1 package of mix. Each package makes two 8- or 9-inch layers or one 9" x 13" x 2" inch oblong cake.

TO USE: Pour 1 package of mix into a mixing bowl; add 1¼ cups milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract. Using an electric mixer, beat at a slow to medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl frequently. Add 2 eggs; beat 1 minute more. Grease and dust with flour your choice of pan(s); spread batter evenly in pans. Bake round cake pans at 350° F. for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes in their pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto racks.

3. sweetdreams

sweetdreams

Thank you Zukerig.............i appreciate the response..........will definately try it out. I also noticed that your cake does not have any egg in it...........

i was reading that back of the cake mix box and saw that there is vegetable shortening in it..........i wonder where do you get powdered vegetable shortening...... :)

4. sweetdreams

sweetdreams

sorry did not read the directions properly...i saw the egg called for in the recipe later....
    thanks again

5. sweetdreams

sweetdreams

i had a question for zukerig..............how long can these mixes in the packet survive?