Homemade Beef Sausage

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefbillyb, Mar 10, 2013.

1. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I processed my Black angus steer and now have a few hundred lbs of beef to use up over time. I have a lot of short ribs, so I figured it would make some good beef sausage........My questions is, does anyone on here make their own sausage...

this is the gnd short ribs

Gnd mixture with spices and liquid

a small patty fried up to check taste and spices. Really good taste

I got 12 sausage links out of 3 lbs

grilled sausage ...............tasted great

2. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    what about linguica?  Portuguese beef sausage, garlic, paprika, smoke...

oops, no I don't make my own sausage but that was the vision that came

to my mind as i was looking at your photos, chefBillyB...ALOHA brah!

3. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Beef summer sausage is always good. All beef hot dogs, brats, beef breakfast sausage...

4. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    wow /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

5. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Nice, nice, nice... I am getting into charcuterie these days, but so far I only made cured bulk meats - bacon, pancetta, guanciale, duck breast prosciutto. I guess it is time to step up to sausages now :D

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That stuff looks good.  A question, which kind of grinder are you using?  I just purchased at ebay, for pates only, a Chop Rite #10 which should suffice for 1#-2# of meat. every few months or so.

And you might be interested in this group at FB called the Salt Cured Pig where members make their own sausage and charcuterie.  Let me know what you think about the grinder I just got.

7. tomago

tomago

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That looks really good. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

8. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good looking sausage indeed.

I used to do pork-beef sausages with a friend (who actually taught me how to do it). We used a manual grinder. Chorizos, salami also, cotechino (with the skin of the pork), etc. As grilled sausages they were good enough. As salami we never got the proper amount of salt. Two slices of our salami and your blood pressure raised to hell. The cotechino was fantastic with stewed pork hands and lima beans. 

9. toothlessbeaver

toothlessbeaver

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I do! I do!  good looking sausage! Since I now have a BBQ & custom smoked meat & veg business. have you considered smoking any of the sausage? I do both casings and a sausage wrapped in corn husks. Idea came from DDD. You might also consider adding some spice to your mix. I have also found that by adding a ground potato helps set up the meat.

10. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    • GeneMachine.........Great start with the curred meats, you are ready for sausage making.........take some pictures, can't wait to see your ideas.........
    • kokopuffs...........I bought the gnder attachment that goes on the kitchenaid.......the gndr would great, I had the meat real cold, I also put some of the gndr parts in the freezer. I wasn't that happy about the sausage attachment, when you add a liquid to the mix it makes it sticky, that makes it harder to push through the twisting gear into the sausage tube. I would use a manual sausage make that puts less stress on the mixture, making it easier to push into the casing..............have you tried out you gnder yet ????????????? I will also check out the Salt cured pig.........thx...Bill
    • ordo..........to much salt will kill anything..........the Cortechino sounds good..........
    • FIXME: needs styling from "post-user-info"
    • ToothlessBeaver.........I do smoke, but I haven't smoked any sausage yet. I was thinking of trying to put some smoke on a fresh sausage, then putting it on the hotter part of the grill to char it, then serve it. I'm wondering if I can get enough of smoke in it that way. I liked the Corn husk idea, I also saw it on DDD, I'm going to try that soon...Thx for reminding me......We raise our own Black Angus cows, Pigs, Goats and Buff Orpington Chickens......In Fact they just started laying this week, now if you want to talk about some good eggs to go with some homemade fresh breakfast country sausage. I wiould like to keep everything as simple as possible when it comes to the sausage.........we raise all the animals as natural as possible..............take care...Bill

11. toothlessbeaver

toothlessbeaver

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chef BillyB;  I have come up with a way to smoke ripened jalapeno s. I have found by canning them in oil, the oil takes on a great smoked flavor without all the heat. by adding some of the oil into the sausage, you get the smoked flavor without the heat. might be something you consider. Remember when you use the corn husks. Use 2 husks to make your sausage the proper size for slicing. I did use 1 husk to start and it made the perfect little size for eating with cheese

12. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef

13. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am making Fresh country Breakfast sausage tomorrow. Has anyone here made it before and if so did you like the mix and seasonings ????????????????? I plan on grinding the pork, adding pure maple syrup, In stead of water I'm going to juice some Granny smith apples, I figure the maple syrup with bring enough sweetness, I don't like sage so some of the spices I'm thinking about are Thyme, Roasted and ground fennel seed, gnd mustard, Garlic ????? fresh or gnd Ginger ????? Cayenne pepper ???? Salt and blk pepper...what's your thoughts...............Thx ............ChefBillyB

14. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @ChefBillyB   Hey Billy what ratio did you use for this sausage? What type of fat?

15. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nicko, As you see there is a lot of fat in that gnd mixture, I used short ribs. I made this mixture some what like a hot dog, they were good, I would add some heat next time.....I would say the meat to fat ratio was 60-40.......30% is normal, these were a bit more...........take care, I hope your doing well...........Bill

16. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Koko what plates are coming with the number 10? I use one for my small batches of breakfast sausage and italian sausage.

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    ChefBilly, those look amazing. I'm wondering which spices you used? It's surprising how your taster patty doesn't really look like ground beef but more like ground pork!!?? Maybe because of the high fat ratio... But either way it looks very tasty. Sausage-making is a brand new realm I've yet to discover. 

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  18. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    FF, ........I used 4 cloves of garlic minced, 1 tblsp Smoked Paprika, 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, 1 1/2 tblsp Kosher salt, 1 tblsp grd mustard, 1 tsp gnd coriander, 1/2 tsp blk pepper........about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of ice cold water

The mix comes out like an emulsion with the ice water being added, it is sticky to the touch. When I did this, you could see the grd beef short ribs were separated like in pellets. This is because everything was kept real cold while processing. When I tasted the test patty, I felt the same are you, the look and texture was like a gnd pork...........I guess you could take this process, not put them in casings and change the spices a bit and have Country Beef breakfast patties....................take care...........Bill

19. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cool, thanks for the details... sounds really tasty. 

20. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Bill, are you just using your K/A grinder or another machine? I have been thinking about this one.