Chef Forum banner

Home Remedy

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  deltadoc 
#1 ·
Im a great fan of home remedies, but I dont have one for hyperacidity...

Please give me some suggestions.  I usually get acid reflux when I overeat... or if Im stressed... which means I get it a lot!  LOL!

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Real acid reflux syndrome (which is, btw, much rarer than the TV commericals would have us believe) represents a serious problem, that should be treated by a doctor. Among other things, it can lead to ulceration of the esophagus---which is as uglier than it sounds.

If you're only talking about over-acidity, however, there are many herbal remedies. Among them:
Peppermint, catnip, fennel, sage, anise, and lovage. If you check herbals, just look at anything listed as a digestive, carminative, or, in some cases, anti-spasmotic.

Although tinctures are easier to use, tea can be more effective because it forces you to take those few minutes away from the job stress. A tea made from equal parts peppermint and catnip will both relieve the acidity and sooth the tummy. For a single serving, combine 1/2 tablespoon each in 1 cup boiling water. Let steep 15 minutes. Strain and drink. Adult dosage: Up to 5 cups daily.

Can't do much about preventing acidity caused by stress (short of changing careers). But as to the over-eating, well, there's a simple solution to that one. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

#3 ·
KY is right.  Acid reflux is actually GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disease) and if it occurs on a regular basis, is usually has something to do with the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach.  The esophagus is supposed to be merely a tube to get food from your mouth to your stomach and isn't meant for long term contact with the gastric acids in your stomach.

If your problem occurs more frequently at night, then one cause could be sleep apnea.  When you stop breathing (my wife was found to stop breathing 87 times an hour for an average of 11 seconds per episode), she would start breathing again gasping for air at the same time.  This was creating a "vacuum" in her esophagus which was pulling stomach acid up and bathing her esophagus with it each time.  We didn't know this until it was too late.

Her GERD caused her to develop Barrett's Esophagus, which is a pre-cancerous condition of the esophagus.  This is a disease that causes the esophageal cell lining to turn into stomach-type cells to protect itself from the constant acid attacks.  Once cells start morphing into other types of cells it can lead to esophageal carcinoma, which is very deadly.

She uses a CPAK at night now that causes her to have a positive pressure when she breathes and has all but eliminated acid reflux or vomiting acid at night.

If we had known she had sleep apnea then she probably would never have developed GERD or Barrett's.  OR at least the GERD could have been treated without the Barrett's forming.

Typical treatment by a physician for GERD is the use of proton inhibitors (Zantac, Protonix, etc.) that taken before eating, limit the amount of HCl (hydrochloric acid) that the stomach produces to digest the food.

doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.