Home range hood?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
My current stove situation:

20200919_093444.jpg

Thinking of adding some sort of vent hood over it. Any suggestions, recommendations, been there, done that, don't do it comments?

mjb.

ps: I've heard that spices stay fresh longer if stored in cool, dark places.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Yikes what is the storage situation with the rest of the kitchen? If that is a standard sized fridge I would find it hard to reach those spices. As for the hood, it depends on your layout. Is the wall behind the stove an outside wall or a room/hallway? Also is this a two story and the ceiling would be the bottom of the floor for the second level? I think your stove is gas based on the picture and maybe you could relocate it somewhere near an exterior wall? It is not that hard to fit in a small exhaust fan and hood if you can get direct access to the outside, if not you would have to pipe it through the joists and such. If you can't/don't want to do an actual exhaust you could always get one of those microwaves that has a built in fan underneath and mount it above the stove. And if you happen to have no use for the microwave put your spices in it.

Joined May 25, 2015
Every range needs a vent hood. Every vent hood needs to be vented to the outside which is critically important if the range is gas. That should be code if it isn't. Those charcoal filtered hoods and microwaves with the built-in hoods should be illegal.

As to your situation, yikes, I wouldn't know where to begin short of a complete renovation.

Oh, that power strip on top of the range is a nice touch. o_O

Joined Nov 5, 2007
When I call it Mark's Little Kitchen I am not exaggerating. Directly opposite the stove and fridge is the sink. The distance between them is 4 feet, 5 inches. That's how much room there is to maneuver from fridge, sink, stove. I should measure just how much available counter top space I have available.

It is a small house, we've lived in it since 1986. I've learned to cope, but now and again I dream of having some real working space. On the other side of the wall behind the stove is the bathroom. It is maybe 5 feet by 8 feet. If there was any place in the house to move the bathroom, I'd love to claim that space for the kitchen. But that will never happen.

But in spite of the limited space, over the years I've turned out some pretty good food in the room that I do have to work with. I'm thankful for that.

mjb.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
When I call it Mark's Little Kitchen I am not exaggerating. Directly opposite the stove and fridge is the sink. The distance between them is 4 feet, 5 inches. That's how much room there is to maneuver from fridge, sink, stove. I should measure just how much available counter top space I have available.

It is a small house, we've lived in it since 1986. I've learned to cope, but now and again I dream of having some real working space. On the other side of the wall behind the stove is the bathroom. It is maybe 5 feet by 8 feet. If there was any place in the house to move the bathroom, I'd love to claim that space for the kitchen. But that will never happen.

But in spite of the limited space, over the years I've turned out some pretty good food in the room that I do have to work with. I'm thankful for that.

mjb.
What about directly above the stove? Is it a two story house?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Single story, empty attic space above, plenty of room for a remote fan and ductwork.

mjb.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Single story, empty attic space above, plenty of room for a remote fan and ductwork.

mjb.

That's the route I would go then is install the hood directly above and vent the ducting to the outside via the attic. The issues I see with your setup is the distance between the stove and the ceiling, as if the hood is too high you may run into problems of it not sucking up enough exhaust. Also the fact that it is so close to the doorway you would have to hand the hood perimeter to overlap the doorway and the fridge area.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'm looking at Fotile for my next one. They have some demo units at the Chinatown market

Top Bottom