Home made wine.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I am currently making fermented fruit wines. My second batch will be Banana wine. The recipe calls for Nutrient. This is supposed to supplement, enhance or support the yeast.
At the Walmart I found nutritional yeast. What is the difference between Nutrition for yeast and nutritional yeast?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Sugar is nutrition for yeast. There's no need to purchase anything special like that to make fruit wine.

In the purest form, all you need is fruit, period. Ferment it, then use an alembic to extract the alcohol. I've done it with pear, it's incredible, but ... well you need an alembic.

An easier method is to mix fruit, sugar, wine and/or brandy and ferment it. No alembic needed.

Any other ingredient is extraneous IMO.

Let us know if you need a recipe.

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I have a collection of old time Quebecois recipes somewhere around the house. They had recipes for wine made from root vegetables, as well as fruit. As far as I can recall, all they used was sugar, water, veg and/or fruit.
My cousins made wine from pretty much anything, but plums were preferred. As I recall, it was pretty good!

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Well, so much for internet recipes. I went with bananas, some lemon juice, sugar and water. Now fermenting.
Next up is whatever is in season. By all means, share recipes. I've decided that when I die, the house will be filled with gallons of different fruit wines in various stages of fermenting/aging. That should make cleaning out my mess much more of a party.

And Thank You for Your support.

Joined Aug 7, 2013
Well, so much for internet recipes. I went with bananas, some lemon juice, sugar and water. Now fermenting.
Next up is whatever is in season. By all means, share recipes. I've decided that when I die, the house will be filled with gallons of different fruit wines in various stages of fermenting/aging. That should make cleaning out my mess much more of a party.

And Thank You for Your support.
Should this dreadful event come to occur, I'd be interested in the address. Also, will the products be properly labeled?

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I should have mentioned using yeast. There is a home brew supply near me and they have various yeasts for beer and wine. I know you can make your own "ferment" by capturing the wild yeast in the air but I have yet to try it. I used Red Star Premier Cote des Blancs. The store has many different kinds and all are supposed to affect the flavor or alcohol content or something. I'm recording the process so after a few batches I may notice a difference but then again I might be too inebriated.

Product labeling: If I manage to be disciplined enough I will label each batch/bottle as I go with name of fruit and date of bottling and expected maturity date. I enjoy the process of making more than the record keeping so it is a challenge. I may have to employ a sober secretary.

RedBeerd-The address-upstate NY. In the event of my departure, I'll leave the pertinent information about this website with the executor of my estate and hope they follow through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom