Home Grease Disposal?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mudbug, Mar 6, 2001.

1. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Just wondering how everyone disposes of their old grease from cooking... :)

2. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a mayo jar under the sink that gets the grease and oils. Always tightly covered--when it's full, it's gone!

3. bucky

bucky

Mud, I keep an empty tin can in my freezer. When it's full it can be stored there until trash day.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's highly irresponsible of you, besides the tremendous cost of treating oils in the water.

Phil

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Because my plumber was over yesterday I asked him about this. He approved what I do and that is that oils and grease of 1/3 cup or so and less get run down the drain with cold water, anything more than that goes in a can, frozen and discarded.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  7. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I suspect that most fats disposed of down the residential kitchen sink never make it to the sewage treatment plants. The quantities are so small that the fat congeals and sticks to something long before it gets there. That's why the pipes plug up locally in the first place.

Here in San Francisco we have a City recycle/compost program and that's where my waste grease goes (what little there is of it.)

Jock

8. pinot

pinot

I find my compost handles moderate quantities of grease seemingly without a problem . It will have to be closed off to vermin though.

Anything that doesn't make the compost bin goes in the trash . Those with babies - Disposable (used ) nappies soak up a heap in the liquid form and keeps it tidy for disposal.

9. redace1960

redace1960

coffee can in the fridge, when it's full its outta here. some little bit goes on
    the doggies food, too...keeps their fur nice.
    can you imagine the days when you had to save it all- pig, cow, chicken, game, whatever- without refrigeration and then use it to
    grease wagons, to make lye soaps, candles, lamp oils, etc? fonkay.

10. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Based on this thread and Phils post, I have amended my ways. All waste grease and fats no matter how small go into a can and into the garbage. :)

11. kcampbell

kcampbell

Filter it, then "trans-esterify" it into bio diesel and run my car on it. We collect it from local restaurants too, as we don't generate enough to keep the car going at home.

Kevin