Chef Forum banner

Home cooking tasting menu with interactive elements and gimmicks

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fatcook 
#1 ·
Last year I did a crazy menu for my best friend's son and his friends, as they'd been bugging me to cook for them for a while. We actually ended up doing ten courses -

1. Canapé spoons
Then when they sat down they prepared their own ceviche using pre selected ingredients (I filleted and diced a whole fish at the table) with pipettes and little spoons/bowls I had, then
2. deep fried eggs with bacon
Then they 'topped' their own mini pizzas with prepared toppings
3. Self prepared Ceviche
4. Self topped mini pizzas (I served these in homemade mini pizza boxes, which were personalised
5. Pulled Pork on Coleslaw served in a jar filled with smoke
6. Parmesan foam
7. Sorbet
8. Taste of the fairground - a multi component dessert by Paul Ainsworth
9. Chocolates and coffee
10. Another course slotted in at some point, and I cannot remember what it was!!

This was a LOT of work, but they absolutely loved it - some reasonable food in there, and a lot of theatre/interactivity. They got to get involved in quite a controlled manner, and were quite impressed.

This year, he turns 18, and has asked me to cook 'another feast' for his birthday. I want to do things along the same lines with some gimmicks/interactivity, but perhaps getting a bit more technical, and perhaps being able to serve a bit more plated food that's actually simpler for me. This is where I'm at currently:

1. Quails Eggs & Bacon served in spoons (a la Thomas Keller/the French Laundry - this will open with a bit of an impression)
2. Intense Soup or Make your own Bruschetta. I have lots of little bowls so a soup seems easy, however the bruschetta gets them engaged quite quick.
3. Steak Tartare - I like the idea of something raw as it's not that ordinary for them
4. Cheese Fondue - so simple, a friend has a fondue set, gets them involved
5. Pizza topped with Edible Insects (I would pre-make these this time) - the insects are obviously the hook here, and I think a pizza is quite a good way to eat them for the first time
6. Assemble your own skewers/kebabs - If I can borrow an indoor grill they can cook these themselves at the table, or i might buy a hot stone. I'd have some different meats and veg and maybe fish they could add to the skewers, and labels so they remembered what they'd made if I ended up cooking them in the oven.
7. Sorbet again (he loves sharp citrus)
8. A panna cotta and sable soldiers dish that looks like egg and soldiers. a bit cheesy but they'll love this gimmick, and it's easy for me to make in advance.
9. A composed cheese plate of some description or maybe some chocolate truffles

Appreciate this is a lot of food - they do eat a lot! it worked last time.

What I'm after from here is any suggestions anyone else has - anything out of the ordinary (like my insect pizza) that will challenge them a bit without breaking the bank/being too difficult, and also anything where they can get involved at the table would be super. They love a good bit of competition, so anything like that is also good. He doesn't really like fish.

There will be quite a lot of them this time (I can just about get 12 around my table) so it needs to be good for a group.

Hit me with some ideas! Interactivity and amusement are key.

TIA

See less See more
#4 ·
Goi cuon can be pretty interactive if you let them roll their own.

Same for various crepes from different cuisines.

Hotpot or fondue as you mentioned.

korean barbecue.

Injeera and the spiced legume pastes of Ethiopia. Interactive in the communal sense of a shared pot/bowl

#6 ·
I saw a recipe recently which involved the diners using a squeezy bottle filled with liquid which instantly turns into noodles when it's squeezed into hot soup. That sounds like fun! I Googled it and found this.
https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com...es/more/methocel-a4c-instant-mushroom-noodles

As you'll see, it involves "modernist cuisine" ingredients but you seem like a pretty adventurous cook. Have to admit I've not tried the recipe so I can't vouch for it, but it might give you some ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.