Home Cook, Seafood Pasta Primavera

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by deltadude, Apr 25, 2010.

1. deltadude

deltadude

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The challenge, cook a fabulous Seafood Pasta Primavera for my daughter's birthday next week.

History, my daughter loves shrimp and seafood, every other year for the past 10 years I have made some kind of seafood pasta primavera. (The other years I do some kind of shrimp feast).  I have made versions with tomato base sauce, or cream base sauce.  Now I'm going to ask for suggestions from my food friends here to help me cook a great seafood pasta primavera for my sweetie.

One ingredient that can't be missed is LOTS of shrimp.

This dinner will be for 6 or 7.

Normally I use fresh shrimp, clams, scallops, a little crab, and a piece or two of fish, cooking the seafood sort of scampi style and, steaming the veggies ( broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, etc).  Cook pasta, make the sauce toss the noodles in the sauce, then toss half the seafood in the sauce and noodles, put into big serving dish, cover with remaining seafood and garnish, and our more sauce over top.

Ok CT people who can help with a great Seafood Pasta Primavera recipe and procedures to make it taste awesome?

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I sweat the veggies in butter, very slowly. I try to buy whatever's in season from the farmer's market. I don't use a sauce, no cream, no tomato sauce. Just good fresh veggies and pasta. I may add a bit of the pasta water to the veggies if I feel the need. To make it a bit fancier I cut all the veggies in little cubes, about the size of green peas. Good knife skill practice for me. I like all the veggies you listed, I also like celery, green beans, runner beans... I've never tried primavera with seafood.

Since it's a special occasion, I also would make sure the pasta dish and the individual plates are hot.

I look forward to hearing other people's suggestions on this topic! Best of luck to you for your daughter's birthday!

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    If you can find them, try using head on shrimp. Season them, and saute instead of boiling. Then shell and behead the shrimp before adding them to the pasta. You'll get much more flavor that way. If you can't get them head on, no sweat. But do cook them in the shell.

4. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
        Hi deltadude,

I'm not sure where you live although I could guess).  But Asian grocery stores are a great source for many items, including head-on shrimp.

For a bit of the back story on Pasta Primavera, check out this link  (from almostitalian.com).  

What I do is use whatever vegetables I have on hand, our what looks good and in season.  If I'm using green vegetables, I'll sometimes blanch and shock them in cold water.  sauté in a little bit of olive oil.  Once the vegetables are done, I'll add any wanted herbs and finish with more olive oil...season and serve.  For seafood I'll partially saute my seafood, then vegetables and deglaze with white wine.  Add the seafood, vegetables, pasta in the pan with a little pasta water (if needed) and finish cooking.  Add herbs, season, rest and serve.

dan

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. deltadude

deltadude

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yo gonefishin,
    Thanks for the recipe and the link.  That is what I'm looking for recipe and technique.  Thanks for the link, reading that article on the first pasta primavera was interesting.  The recipe in the link and yours is pretty much what I do, including the red pepper flakes.

I want to hear how the Pros would approach this dish and get their take or flair on preparing and serving.

Like the tip about the head on + shell.  Most the time the shell is on the shrimp I have access to but not the head.  What I do is shell the shrimp, brine it for 20 minutes, the shells goes in the pot with a little wine, and water to steam the clams & fish, the clams and fish are sitting on a bed of shrimp shells.  The resulting broth is what I make my cream sauce from, which cooks in the pan that I just sauteed the shrimp, crusted scallop, if I have crab in shell, and some squid, basically a butter garlic wine mixture, plus seasonings and a few other flavor bits.

So keep those tips coming please for this dish.