Home Cook, 3 salsas for most occassions...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by deltadude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. deltadude

deltadude

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Most like salsas, being from Calif, Mexican food and flavors have heavily influenced Calif. food.  What are your go to salsa recipes?

I say Calif instead of Mexico, because I was introduced and first made these salsas in Calif.  I have traveled up and down Baja, and the following are basic typical recipes, however Mex restaurants and families all have their little changes that deliver distinct flavors.  Hopefully some here at CT will share their take on good salsas...

When I was managing a HVAC wholesale company, one of my warehouseman was 2nd generation from Mexico, but he and his wife learned all the traditional dishes.  He made the most amazing salsas,  He used to make tamales and sell them at work 15 for $10, he would bring his salsa in so we could try his tamales, the tamales were great, but his salsas rocked!  I offered $50 for his Mango/Peach salsa, and another $50 for his Shrimp/Avocado salsa and he wouldn't share the recipe.

Pico de Gallo

[​IMG]

1 white onion, finely chopped,  my son prefers red onion (I use 50/50 if I have both)
    4 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
    2 or 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and fine chopped
    1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves chopped (leaves not stems)
    1/2 lime squeeze the lime juice into mixture
    Salt to taste  use Kosher

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 60 min.

Mango Salsa

[​IMG]

1 mango, peeled seeded and diced
    5 tomatoes, seeded diced  (I most often us plum due to price)
    1 avocado, peeled pitted and diced
    1/2 bunch of chopped cilantro (make an effort to keep larger stems out)
    1 or 2 jalapenos seeded and minced (according to your heat index)
    1 lime juice squeezed into mixture
    1 orange extract 3 tbsp of OJ
    1/3 cup red onion chopped
    3 garlic cloves minced
    2 tbsp olive oil
    Salt to taste  use Kosher

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 60 min.

Roasted Tomato Salsa
    Salsa de Molcajete

[​IMG]

1 - 2 fresh jalapeño chiles
    3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
    1 16-ounce can tomatoes crushed or diced in juice, in mex section look for roasted
    1/3 bunch cilantro chopped Leaves please
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    Salt  Kosher
    Directions

1.    Roast the chiles and garlic.   In a small skillet med heat, no grease or oil, roast the jalepenos and garlic with skin, turning regularly, cook until they are soft and brown with many spots,garlic will take a few min longer so start first.  When done allow cool a little, remove the stems from chiles and peel sking from garlic then rough chop.  Using food processor grind chiles and garlic to rough mix, add the tomatoes with their juice, cover and pulse into puree. Fine chop cilantro, put in processor and lime juice, pulse once or twice no more.  Taste and season with kosher salt and a little fresh ground pepper.

Each of the above makes roughly 2- 3 cups....

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. deltadude

deltadude

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    WoW I guess no one likes salsa.....  I was sure that most would have a least one recipe to share!

3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry man, you took my go to already. I usually just make a Pico similar to yours but I add a little olive oil and red wine vinegar with my lime juice.  I have made one a few times substituting roasted red bell peppers for all the tomato. It had a good smokey flavor and wasn't quite as acidic but I don't make it at home as the wife hates bell peppers.

4. oldpro

oldpro

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I generally make my salsas with roasted poblanos, roasted jalapenos, red onions, cilantro, plum tomatoes, lime juice, sometimes roasted red bell pepper,  and maybe tomatillos.  There are obviously countless combinations.  One thing I have been doing lately is adding some balsamic vinegar.  I have always liked a vinegar touch, and the balsamic really wakes it up for me.

5. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
        Nice thread....makes me think of warmer weather ahead/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

My Pico de Gallo is about like yours (I'm not sure of the amounts that I use???). When I make my salsa at work I end up adding Serrano peppers as well as jalapenos for some more heat.  

I usually don't shy away from using the stems of cilantro either.  If I'm cooking some Mexican food I never throw the Cilantro stems away until the end of the day.  You never know if you'll need them later.  There's actually plenty of good flavor in the stems, you just need to cut them incredibly small.  They use as a good kicker if you need more cilantro flavor in your salsa, rice, etc.  Also, if you ever find cilantro with the roots bu them and give them a try.  The roots are jam packed full of flavor.

Your Mango salsa looks good...I'll have to give it a try.

A roasted tomatillo salsa is probably my favorite.  Just wash tomatillos and cut in half.  Add halved tomatillos, skin on garlic cloves, halved white onion on non-stick skillet and gently bring up the temperature.  Let everything cook until the tomatillos are about 1/2 mushy then flip everything until the other side is cooked.  I add everything to a processor and blend with some cilantro stems (this way I could save the pretty leaves for finishing).  Add salt, lime and chopped cilantro to taste.  You can also do this outdoors if weather permits.