Hollow Edge or Regular Chef's Knife?

Joined Aug 6, 2015
@Joseph Vernice you can grind the edge bevel of hollow ground knives just fine though the knife will get exceedingly thick in short order.
Grantons are indeed the hollow indents on the sides of the blades. How are you thinking this affects edge retention?

Last edited:
Joined Nov 15, 2012
From the 50's to the 80's and maybe 90's high-end in the US "mostly" meant stamped stainless with a hollow (as in straight razor) edge and a wood handle, sometimes rosewood but more often a polymer impregnated wood made to look something like rosewood.  Some were very thin, I have an 8" slicer that is a mere 1.15mm thick.  Steel was usually soft, with the exception of Deluxe Personna which I believe is 440C and takes a nice edge.  Break the shoulder on the hollow grind and you have a slick cutter.  Some of the Japanese imports were very soft but rather fine grained, typically on the thick side and not nearly enough grinding on the "hollow."

Hollow grinds

FWIW

Last edited:
Joined Aug 4, 2016
Is actually good for spuds which tend to stick, but not a big deal. I have a rather cheap dimpled Santuko , to extract better edge i sharpened it One Bevel.  That can get a bit more results from 'average steel". 

I have a 12" Forschner slicer ..no dimples.   I'd used the dimpled version in restaurants.... and The plus here is I can do a more acute angle on the stone.  Being a retired cook.. I do not need it often.  a Slicer needs a nice edge.  It does not HACK + wack.   That's a whole other tool.

Joined Aug 4, 2016
Lamson is the only US brand doing quality knives with good steel aside from a few ' hand made (expensive) items.   japan..... you got Hi Tech Steels. That's huge.. and there's Old School  makers who were doing Samurai swords long ago. They are BIG on quality.  Forschner (Swiss) makes good, very affordable knifes.

Short of a closeout sale..... Name Japanese blades are serious $.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
@Ron Wood   Maybe 10 years ago.  There are many many options in every price range now.   210mm Tojiro DP is $55 on amazon and victorinox forschner is $45 .  It's not that much more for a big jump in quality

Last edited:
Joined Nov 15, 2012
Actually Lamson hasn't been doing well these last few years.  Richmond (of all folks) and New West KnifeWorks  dropped them because of poor quality work.  For Japanese knives there are some very good 210 offerings at just over $100, and exceptional ones under $200, in the 240 range under $150 and $250 respectively.

Top Bottom