Hollandaise Sauce Question

Joined Aug 31, 2012
Hey -- I honestly had no intention to be snarky. There was a whole back-and-forth about what Escoffier actually said, and some people referred to the French text, but nobody gave the original. So I posted it.

To translate, I have to insert some interpretation of what I think Escoffier was trying to get at. Others might disagree. Nevertheless, leaping in where angels fear to tread, the crucial bits:

As I read Escoffier's directions, the point is to mount the sauce with 500g of butter. The issue at hand, of whether one should use whole or clarified butter, doesn't seem to be on his radar. My take on Escoffier here is that he's not especially doctrinaire: it would depend on what you have in mind for the sauce, what sort of effect you want, etc. But that's my view of what Escoffier generally does.

Seriously, I didn't mean to cause trouble. I genuinely thought I was being helpful!
Hey -- I honestly had no intention to be snarky. There was a whole back-and-forth about what Escoffier actually said, and some people referred to the French text, but nobody gave the original. So I posted it.

To translate, I have to insert some interpretation of what I think Escoffier was trying to get at. Others might disagree. Nevertheless, leaping in where angels fear to tread, the crucial bits:

As I read Escoffier's directions, the point is to mount the sauce with 500g of butter. The issue at hand, of whether one should use whole or clarified butter, doesn't seem to be on his radar. My take on Escoffier here is that he's not especially doctrinaire: it would depend on what you have in mind for the sauce, what sort of effect you want, etc. But that's my view of what Escoffier generally does.

Seriously, I didn't mean to cause trouble. I genuinely thought I was being helpful!
I took it that way, I have never heard of mounting butter, The French term is Monte au Buerre or to emulsify  butter into a warm sauce.

I dont bother with a ballon whisk any more . I only make hollandaise in the summer using unsalted summer alpine butter heated in a pan and dribbled into a slow running liquidiser that contains very fresh egg yolks ect.I do try hard to leave most of the sediment in the pan.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Mounting is used in USA as French is not spoken in most kitchens.  Never new Hollandaise was seasonal?

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Had a great comeback for you, ed.

Proofed and deleted as I am working hard not to be such a smart***

;-)

mimi

Joined Sep 18, 2010
I don't understand the remark about a Hollandaise to be seasonal /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

Joined Aug 31, 2012
For me it a summer season sauce for two reasons. The first is that I associate the sauce with poached fresh wild Scottish Salmon, Welsh Sewyn and Cheshire Asparagus.The second is that the summer butter I use has a deep yellow colour this also applies to the egg yolks.Winter butter over here can be so pale its almost white and because the cows are fed on hay etc indoors IMO its not as tasty.  

Joined Oct 12, 2012
my personal method is to 'half' clarify the butter. melt the butter in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for a minute or two (not very long). and leave to cool for a bit-this is essential, remove the scum and use the remains in the sauce. i also like quite a thick sabayon. i find this makes a nice thick sauce. This is my individual way, you could write books on hollandaise sauce and chefs opinions and methods.

Top Bottom