Holiday Food!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by aic319, Nov 18, 2009.

1. aic319

aic319

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    :look:I need suggestions for a holiday party I am doing next month> The client wants all of the food to be red, white and green. There will be approx. 70 people. Any suggestions would be great!:rolleyes:

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    red pepper soup, white corn mini muffins

Green Salad with craisins, toasted pecans, sugar snaps, green onions, vinagrette

Cod with pesto, soubise, green veg....broccoli or green beans

Red Velvet Cake with 7 minute icing

3. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    With those colours - it's gotta be Italian.

Minestroni soup - its got all the colours.

Crostini with basil, passata, bocconcini.

Pizza Marghuerita.

Go pastas with a tomato sauce, a spinach sauce/pesto, a creamy cheesy sauce. Or pasta tricoloure, if you want to do it in one dish.

Dessert - not sure...Panetonni cake with red and green glace cherries either in the mix or around to decorate.

Or icecream cake with said cherries :) (That's just me being silly)

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Festive chicken rolls - pound chicken breast thin and flat, top with a layer of baby spinach, diced red peppers (that have been dressed), and a sprinkle of fontina cheese. Roll up and tie or secure with toothpicks and sear. Finish in the oven. When you slice them you get these festive little green, red, and white pinwheels.

Green bean salad - blanch the green beans and then sautee lightly in olive oil with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper flakes.

Fresh Tomato Strata - Cut fresh ripe tomatoes into slices. Lay down half the slices and top with a layer of goat cheese filling (goat cheese, a little heavy cream, salt/pepper). Add another tomato slice and put some more goat cheese on top. Drizzle herbed oil over it (made with fresh mint and basil), and sprinkle with toasted walnuts. - adapted from a recipe of giada de laurentiis.

5. chefd1

chefd1

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm in kind of in the same boat and need some serious food ideas...Main course have ideas, but as far as the desserts and appetizers, I'm stumped:(

6. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    ...just curious - Why do they want those colours? :)

7. kirstens

kirstens

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Caprese salad

8. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My guess? Chriistmas colors.

9. aic319

aic319

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I dont know....obviously because of the holidays. I think i could do better without the color theme but, its not my party!

10. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would pick out a menu you want and then incorporate the Red, white and green in the garnish. Screw trying to give her the colors in the food. I never let the customer screw up my catering.....................

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would agree if she asked for blue, purple, and black, but she asked for a color combination that is so easy to achieve beautifully and deliciously that he'd probably achieve it without even paying attention.

PS - customers are the ones handing over the money, don't forget that. Hey wait a minute, are you the surly brother from Top Chef??!!!!:roll:

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    think of it as a challenge, not someone out to screw you.....paying customers in this economy.....no brainer

13. pokey

pokey

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    bruschetta