Hobart

Joined Jan 21, 2002
I currently own a 6Qt KitchenAid mixer for my home use and have found that I have outgrown it. I've searched various websites (including EBAY) in search of a Hobart (8-10 Qt). All I am finding are the much larger restaurant-type models (30-60 Qt). Does anyone know where I can buy one of these smaller models? I noticed they are using these models on the foodtv channel. Thanks.

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Univex makes, or made, a 12 qt model. I bought one at a used equipment place and am quite happy with it. Years ago my parents bought me a 20 qt Hobart for 25 bucks off a recent widow. I sold it for 600 when I needed some cash. The Univex low speed is a little fast, it seems, but a repair guy told me there's a fix for it.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Checkout EBAY where I have seen an occasional used Hobart mixer for sale. Its capacity fell in the range of 5 - 10 qts. They're not nearly as cheap as the KA counterpart, however.

On EBAY I recently saw a 5 qt Hobart (that's 5 qt) that looked really "industrial" and about 30 years old. The bids had reached $300 yet I don't know the final selling price.

Joined Apr 26, 2001
I found this place a couple of months ago, when I was looking into replacing my KitchenAid K5 with a comparably sized Hobart: www.pierceequipment.com. (If this works like it did the last time I referenced a website, the url will convert into a link.) They sell both new and used stuff, and seem to be reasonably big.

Like Kyle, I'm curious about what you outgrew. (In my case, I got tired of replacing stripped transmissions. However, I could never get any satisfactory comparative information about the KitchenAid and Hobart models, so went back to the old K5.)

Joined Apr 26, 2001
Kokopuffs:

I think that low, low, introductory price of $1700 is just for the 5-quart model (N50) that corresponds to the old KitchenAid K5. ($1700 is obviously too lavish for human beings; it sells for a much more reasonable $850 used.) The 12 quart model is much more. Hobart stuff is Seriously Expensive.

BR

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Br:

You complained about the transmission in your K5 mixer. Why not get the KA 6 qt mixer which has a metal transmission. Mine works great. The only complaints you'll hear about the PRO model pertain to those early models that came off of the assembly line well over a year or two ago. I got mine brand new last April, have had it for almost a year and am happy with it.

-T

Joined Apr 26, 2001
Kokopuffs:

I haven't given up on finding a replacement for my old K5. (It dates back to the years when KitchenAid was a Hobart brand, so I could probably justify replacing it just because of its age). I'm just on hold. But I stepped back from simply buying another KitchenAid model when, after a several rounds of e-mail correspondence with KitchenAid's customer service group, they said that all KitchenAid mixers, from the small 4-qt, tilt-head model to the 6-qt model, use the same transmission as in mine. Since transmissions were my complaint, it didn't seem that buying a mixer with a bigger bowl and motor was the solution.

BR

Joined Jan 21, 2002
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the info on Hobart. I will check out the websites mentioned in this thread.

Kyle and others: I do a lot of home baking and I really enjoy creating my own recipes for various breads, cookies, etc. My neighbors here in Chicago are my "testers". When I have a winning recipe, I will usually make several batches and share with family members and friends. My KA has been very reliable and I've never had a problem with the motor--just the bowl size. Several times I've had to make the recipe twice, because the bowl would not hold all the mixture.

I know that Hobart is more expensive than KA, but I feel it's well worth the price, as I don't expect to have to replace this for quite awhile.

P.S. I've just ordered the pasta attachment for the KA, and I'll be curious as to how this works out. I currently own a manual pasta machine (Atlas 150), but that machine is very limited in what in can produce in terms of shapes. I will let you know how the KA attachment works out, but any opinions based on experience would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all your thoughts. John

Joined Aug 4, 2000
BR:

KA advertises their PRO MIXER as having a metal transmission. If this is correct then I think that the other models have plastic transmissions.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
John - I guess it depends on how imortant that 8th quart is :) I have a 7QT Kenwood that I love. It has a 650 Watt motor that is more quiet and more stable than my old KA 5QT. At $399 is seems that 8th QT is a very expensive one :)

Joined Jun 28, 2001
I have a commercial K5 and I wish that thing was bigger. I heard so many bad things about the KA 6 quarts that they keep breaking down and have to be exchanged. I guess a bad batch was made? My friend bought a 7 quart Kenwood and sang its glories. She said it's just a better machine than her K5. And the paddle actually reached to the bottom of the bowl unlike the K5. The only downside was that the bowl doesn't have a handle, but she was going to get her husband to solder one on. I am just going to wait until I have the money to get a 12-quart hobart. If I outgrow that, someone please shoot me. It means I'm doing high volume and working too much.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Put me in the Kenwood fan club too. I was at my Most Awesome Girlfriend's this weekend. I was making bread and kneaded to double the batch. I nearly killed her 5QT KA. Had to do it by hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom