Hmmmm..... What d you guys feed your kids after an insanely busy night??

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mimmogram, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mimmogram

mimmogram

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ok... So the deal is that my husband and I pretty much run the show here... He mans the bar... I run the kitchen with 1 waitress/kitchen hand... At the end of busy nights, the last thing I feel like doing is feed the family... We don't normally get out of the kitchen/bar until 9.00-9.30pm.... 

So what's something really quick, easy & healthy I can teach my teenagers to cook themselves?? I tend to suck at low fat!!!! Lol!!

my son is autistic and extremely fussy with what he will eat... He has just discovered cheese omlettes, but if he had his way, he would live on rice, pasta or rice noodles... With no flavorings!! Oh.. He loves Cous Cous too...

any ideas would be great!!!

thanks!!

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    frittatas using precooked pasta, rice,etc.....he could add veg or cheese or cooked meats to the egg/starch combo....easy quick can be bland or not.

Soup.  Stock either premade (I always have chix stock around) or from a box/can.....starch,veg, meat.   easy, can be prepped and easily put together

Pizzas....using tortillas, naan, english muffins.....

Fried Rice.

Premaking long cooking shtuff and having it ready to heat and eat is the key.

3. chef the sun

chef the sun

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    you could go with a morocan cous cous or try a herb cous cous.

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook

doesn't moroccan couscous take forever to cook? 

5. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have you tried meals like Sheppards Pie, casseroles that involve pasta's or rice's? 

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Couscous is kinda like polenta in that sense: if you do it properly it does take at least an hour. If you follow the directions on a box of pre-cooked couscous it takes between 5 and 10mn. 

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  7. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yeah, but the moroccan couscous is a long-simmering stew, served over couscous, no?

8. mimmogram

mimmogram

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks guys!!I usually try to cook heaps and freeze, but its been so busy lately I jut haven't had a spare second to do anything!!It's also hard with my autistic son being so limited with what he will eat!!! Lol!!I have just put a new girl on through supported employment who has aspergers... She isn't coping too well with the busy nights so I'm thinking of getting her in a couple of days a week to help out with meals.... I am trying to help boost her confidence & doing things at her own pace will be better for her.. She also has simillar tastes to my son so I know he will eat her food!! Lol

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Considering the thread I'm assuming Chef the sun meant the couscous 'pasta' itself, not the entire dish of pasta and stew. Also a stew with dried herbs wouldn't sound very appetizing.  

As for "Moroccan", I have to say I'm not sure what Chef the sun meant. Maybe he just meant couscous (the pasta) that comes from Morocco, as in:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  10. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do you own a crock pot?

11. mimmogram

mimmogram

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Love my slow cooker.... But it's getting too hot to cook that sort of comfort food...

12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Shredded raw carrots with a vinaigrette is often the fastest salad or side dish to prepare at my house. To give it a Moroccan twist, steep some raisins in orange flower water, add a bit of chopped cilantro, season with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and sumac. A boiled egg is a good addition too. 

13. chef the sun

chef the sun

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    not that long maybe ten mins if you do a quick one.