Chef Forum banner

High Ratio

7K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  chefpeon 
#1 ·
Hello , anyone got a high ratio cake formula that actually works ??
Thanks

#3 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply , first of all the lowest % protein cake flour I can get here in Mexico is 10% .. which is acceptable I suppose and my query is does anyone have a tried and tested Hi Ratio cake formula because I simply dont have one ..I have bought all the ingredients --high ratio margarine and emulsifyer gel ( puratos ) but they dont have a recommended formula which for a global company as famous is quite suprising .. but here in Mexico Puratos they havent got a clue ..iso thats my predicament ..do you have a tried and tested formula ??
Thanks
Graham

#5 ·
OK, here are 3 high ratio cake shortening recipes from my archives! ("Liquid cake shortening" is high ratio shortening.) View attachment 66202 View attachment 66203 View attachment 66204
wow !!! I am amazed at your reply , that you took the time and effort in not only answering my questions but also posted cake formulas , i am lost for words ( and let me tell you young lady i am hardly ever lost for words ha ha !!! , thankyou so much xox ,
ps. dont know if i can get my hands on liquid shortening here but can i use melted cake margarine ( puratos ) ....? , thanks

#8 ·
You know, that's something I've never actually used and I'm unfamiliar with it, so I Googled it. It's basically an emulsifying agent that allows batters to hold more water, resulting in a more consistent crumb with an extended shelf life. Here is a description I found:
https://www.palsgaard.com/products/bakery/cake-gels/

#11 ·
Hello . ok so I did a test run of the formula layer cake yellow and it has a nice colour , pleasing appearance , a wee bit sweet but I can alter that for my needs but I think I would need Sweetex or Nutex to really satisfy my expectations of how I want the cake to be , I did try to upload some photos but after various failed attempts I gave up :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.