High heat + All Clad D3 = ok?

Joined Apr 23, 2020
Manual says use low and medium, using high heat only for boiling. Is that more advice on what is necessary, or what could damage the pan?

Can I crank the heat on my gas stove to high with my D3 skillet for a 550F sear on a cut of meat safely? I know cast iron is better for this if I don’t want to deglaze, I’m just wondering if it is safe to do for the pan or if it will damage it.

I saw their non stick is oven safe up to 500 and one website claimed up to 600F for D3, D5, and CC? Is that right In practice?

As well, is there a difference between the max oven safe heat vs the more direct heat of a high heat burner? I noticed they mentioned the D3 pans are only safe for “a minute or two” under the broiler.

Last night I cranked the heat to high for a burger sear (after a Sous Vide cook at 131), measured 520-550 F on the pans heat. burger turned out awesome, pan ended up needing a scrub down with barkeepers friend.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It could damage the pan, yes. But it's usually a long and slow process.

From my perspective this is mostly about ensuring that average cooks have an experience and result they'll be happy with. This assumes that average cooks will poorly handle the high heat, burning their food and blaming the pan.

High heat with a hot pan and colder food creates thermal shock. This will eventually warp the pan and could even cause delamination. And since you used the pan outside of manufacturer recommendations, they don't have to warranty it.

Oven safe temperatures are often about the handle material, not the pan.

Or can apply to nonstick coatings that may volatilize and degrade at higher temps. Nonstick really isn't good for high heat.

Joined Apr 23, 2020
Aha, thanks for the helpful reply. I’m not going to warp or deform the aluminum core with the temps I was at? No harm, no foul?

And FWIW the burger I reverse seared was probably at 110 F when it hit the pan (131F in SV then rested). That heat in total was all less than 5 minutes including heat up/cool down time.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
High heat is okay, but not necessary, and just wasteful in general.

The design of the D3 enables it to cook efficiently at low to moderate heat.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
If you want to race, use a race car. If you want a slow, comfortable trip, use a sedan.

Using your D3 pan at high temps outside of the manufacturer's specs probably won't cause much damage if done once or a even a few times. However, over time, the integrity of the pan's construction will be degraded due to the cumulative effects of the misuse. When a pan's integrity becomes degraded, it becomes dangerous.

The question I have is why would you subject your good cookware to this sort of abuse when they aren't designed for it, especially when you could use a cast iron pan that operates magnificently at high temperatures?

Top Bottom