High end client discretion for Private Chef

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by burnell shively, Nov 21, 2016.

1. burnell shively

burnell shively

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Greetings,

While planning the marketing for my Private Chef business, I am pondering the issue of discretion. My last gig was for royalty. I didn't tell my acquaintances (just a few close friends) however, it would look really good on my Chef Facebook Page and help me attract clients.

But I worry it seem pretentious while I really need the good introduction to a new area.

What are your wise thoughts? When and where is it best to divulge one's clients? 

Thank you,

Burnell

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When you have the clients permission. Where would be on a resume/CV not social media.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have found that these days, WHO you worked for is less important than WHAT you did when you worked.

I found myself in a telephone interview not to long ago and happened to mention that I helped cook a presidential Ball and cooked for the Queen and King of Thailand.  I was told flat out that this kind of thing is unnecessary as it doesn't say anything about my abilities or experiences.

4. burnell shively

burnell shively

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, doesn't private cheffing for royalty and dignitaries suggest that your abilities can withstand very high expectations? How best to say that...do you mean you would only mention the location, size of crowd, type of menu etc?  As I am building my business in a new area, I need to hit just the right tone and use my best features. As its a seasonal place, most of the villas are owned or rented to people who probably use agencies in London, for example, to source their chefs, so I am getting myself in a few of those too.  Any of your suggestions are helpful,

Thanks,

Burnell

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Depend who you are talking to, the context, and on what level. Very, very subjective. A lot of time, names can be thrown around as so much fluff without any real substance. Yes, people are impressed by names, but In my experience, royalty and dignitaries don't know or recognize quality any more than my next door neighbor. They are just used to a certain level of power.
    That is an excellent way to go, also they will be able to help you sort out how and what to include info in your resume/CV.

An additional source of leads would be the the agencies that handle the actual rental of the villas. Let them know of your presence and experience.

6. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Its understandable youre proud of the work you did
    for royalty, maybe few others, and presumably they were happy
    with your results. But im with above, unless you have their
    implicit blessing to use them, or their PR office as a reference,
    I would keep it close to the vest for now and pursue other
    ways to promote.
    And in the future I would ask such clients while youre working
    with them, or even when you first land the gig, if its okay